Noob from New Zealand

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Damo NZ
Novice

Noob from New Zealand

Post by Damo NZ »

Greetings from the land of the long white cloud. Just got my still and I'm looking forward to making a variety of shine. Whisky is my got to but I am really interested in experimenting with fruit mash to try for interesting flavours. Really glad there is a forum like this because beer home brew is the big thing in this country so having a hive mind like this will be a huge support. One day I hope to be able to help other newbies.
Damo
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Noob from New Zealand

Post by fizzix »

Welcome Damo NZ! You have a good number of fellow countrymen here.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome, drop us a pic of the rig. love seeing them
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Welcome here Damo
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Welcome Damo! It would be great to live in a free county! Enjoy your journey!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Damo NZ wrote:Greetings from the land of the long white cloud. Just got my still and I'm looking forward to making a variety of shine. Whisky is my got to but I am really interested in experimenting with fruit mash to try for interesting flavours. Really glad there is a forum like this because beer home brew is the big thing in this country so having a hive mind like this will be a huge support. One day I hope to be able to help other newbies.
Damo
Welcome Fellow N :mrgreen: :mrgreen: B !
As I and MANY MANY others always say, Read Til You Bleed!
bleeding eyes.gif
bleeding eyes.gif (24.78 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Let me suggest looking at Jimbo's Wheated Bourbon & Gumball Recipe:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=39617
Jimbos Mash.jpg
Even if you change the mashbill back to rye, it's pretty simple and straightforward and you can make a whiskey mash then use the strained AG to make a sugarhead to play with as you wish.
My plan is to alternate Gin & Fauxquila maybe adding something else that gets my attention. May even add berries or some other fresh fruit (Pink Grapefruit?) and see what happens.
Whether you choose Jimbo's or not, after your "Required Readings" the most direct route to success is in Tried & True Recipes. It's not easy to get a recipe in there. You don't add it, it has to be "nominated" and confirmed. THAT'S after it is (duh) TRIED AND TRUE! It means if you follow it to the letter, you can't have a (do y'all call it) COCKUP!
This isn't easy, don't make it harder!
Good Luck!
:wtf:
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Damo NZ wrote:Greetings from the land of the long white cloud. Just got my still and I'm looking forward to making a variety of shine. Whisky is my got to but I am really interested in experimenting with fruit mash to try for interesting flavours. Really glad there is a forum like this because beer home brew is the big thing in this country so having a hive mind like this will be a huge support. One day I hope to be able to help other newbies.
Damo

Welcome in Damo.
I's dare to say not only beer brewing is big in NZ, I know of a fair few lads who are in to making likker too.
What fruits are you mashing, not feijoa surely?
Don't be a dick