new guy

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

stuffs
Novice

new guy

Post by stuffs »

Hi all.
Built a pot/reflux still a few weeks ago and already did a run. Worked great 90% for aprox my first 1L 60% for next and then I ran it until about 35% when it started to stink. All of the above were done in about 250ml separate ?pulls?. Anyway ran the still about thirteen hours. It's a stainless steel soup pot with all copper pipe soldiered with lead free flux, silver solder. Some joints failed and I used cornmeal/flour to seal them up.
So here's my question. By the end of the run it stunk, my place, clothing, everything including the still. I have since tried to clean my still ( distilling vinegar, soaps, even ended up cleaning the pot with goo gone) the only thing that has worked thus far is the goo gone on the pot. I can't scrub and rinse the copper pipes the same way. The smell is kinda like the the wet cardboard I have seen referenced. But this is really strong I am not sure if this is normal. My worry as I'm about to start another wash and hopefully distill my first batch a second time is that this dank smell will leech back into the distillate. Is this something I need to worry about, is there a way to clean the pipes, is this normal?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: new guy

Post by Yummyrum »

Welcome stuffs :wave:
I approved you welcome thread on the grounds that it gives a picture of where you are at in the hobby . Thats basically all we want to know . Any further info on where you live etc is always welcomed .

Your question should be asked in the beginers section where the experienced guys can help you out . So maybe copy and paste it there . :thumbup:

Anyway good luck with your new hobby and you will find a lot of helpful fellas around here .
stuffs
Novice

Post by stuffs »

Thanks.
Re-posted question with a bit more info to novice.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

My pal, clean that still properly to start: Cleaning a still
Then we'll move from there. We can help you through this if you make the proper effort.
Welcome to Home Distiller, and hang in there!
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome, post a pic too.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917