Hello

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

ctsebra
Novice

Hello

Post by ctsebra »

Hi Everyone,
I'm brand new to distilling. Been trying to let my wife brew beer for years and the other day when I mentioned that I should get a still while we're home on quarantine, she said she'd rather that than beer anyway, so I jumped at the chance and ordered a still. I'm a huge whiskey enthusiast and I'm really looking forward to figuring out how to distill some awesome homemade whiskey. Anyone who has experience with making whiskey or any resources they can point me to that would be a good start for a first time whiskey distiller, please let me know.

Thanks

Caleb
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hello

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to the forum, try the Tried & True Recipe section for proven recipes.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Welcome to the forums. There is so much info here it's going to overwhelm you.

I'll give you one piece of advice, build your own still out of an unmolested beer keg. It's not that hard to do and you will learn a lot.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Sweet, what did you buy? There's lots of great whiskey recipes here.
ctsebra
Novice

Post by ctsebra »

I bought this one: https://www.whiskeystillpro.com/product ... hine-still

I'm very quickly realizing that I need to learn a whole lot before I can even start. Is there anywhere that has a list of what the necessary equipment is besides the still? I'm seeing that I probably need a mash tun, fermentation bucket, hot liquor tank. Is there an online source for grains that you would recommend? I'm literally brand new, so any help would be very greatly appreciated, even if it's just pointing me to where to find that information in this forum. seems like there's so much information, I almost don't know where to start
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

ctsebra wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:31 am I bought this one: https://www.whiskeystillpro.com/product ... hine-still

I'm very quickly realizing that I need to learn a whole lot before I can even start. I'm literally brand new, so any help would be very greatly appreciated, even if it's just pointing me to where to find that information in this forum. seems like there's so much information, I almost don't know where to start
Congrats on jumping in, Caleb. All newbies are eager to get in there and distill something, especially those with a bright, shiny new still. It'll take some time, but start with the Required Reading at the bottom of this page. Stick with it and over time it will all sink in.

Good luck.

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer