Distilling newbie

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alfons
Novice

Distilling newbie

Post by Alfons » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:58 am

Hi Home distillers,
I'm Alfons, I have a micro vineyard ( less than 2 acres, 1st harvest this year) and want to make my own brandy.
I have a ton of questions and was booked to do my entry level distillers course (in the UK) back in March.
Stupid Covid put a stop to that and I have no idea when it might happen!
I'm interested in all areas of distillation but particularly apple and grape brandy.

8Ball
Rumrunner

Re: Distilling newbie

Post by 8Ball » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:08 pm

Welcome aboard! You’ve come to the right place. Helpful links are at the bottom of this page. Use the search feature to find out more specifics. Here is a thread you may find useful:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2196

🎱
The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.

NZChris
Master Distiller

Post by NZChris » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You should be able to make fine first grape brandy without doing a course, but you do have to put some effort into research, (hint; watching Youtube is entertainment, not research). I suggest you start by studying Charentais distillation methods and understanding the best materials for building and sealing stills.

Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:05 pm

NZChris wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:04 pm
I suggest you start by studying Charentais distillation methods and understanding the best materials for building and sealing stills.
I'm looking to cook some green grapes. Now I need to research the same thing!