Hi All

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Snu
Novice

Hi All

Post by Snu » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:02 am

Hi All

Just joined so I can have a good look around and understand what I can do with my air still, still playing around with different ingredients and looking for some information on inverting sugar to give my sugar wash a better taste.

Cheers

Snu

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Hi All

Post by Saltbush Bill » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:39 am

Welcome Snu, I don't think inverting sugar will change the taste of your booze.
There are some very good recipes for sugar washes in our Tried and True Recipe section which may help you.
Understanding how to make good cuts viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11640 and stripping before you make a spirit run are the two things most likely to help you make better booze.

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:05 am

Welcome to HD . For what its worth I‘m a sugar inverter . ... out of habit from wine days .. Jury’s still out in my head as to the gains . I just find inverting helps to dissolve the sugar easier at least :thumbup:

Snu
Novice

Post by Snu » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:24 pm

Thanks Saltbush, will read and see how I can change my game, Yummyrum, I'm told inverted sugar is easier for the yeast to break down and therefore they don't have to work so hard to convert, going to have a play and see what happens, at the end of the day I still have an ABV base to work with ;0)