Newbie from South Africa

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Scratchbuild
Novice

Newbie from South Africa

Post by Scratchbuild » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:34 am

Hi there,

Nic, here from South Africa. Started my interest in home distilling during the lockdown and when there was a "prohibition law" on alcohol during the lockdown. I survived, ye.

Did my second run on a small Chinese still yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. But I need a bigger still.😉

The first run was a whiskey with maize meal, it turned out pretty good as a whiskey and tasted better than most I usually buy at the bottle
store.

The second was a strawberry brandy. I am going to age half of it at 45% diluted and the other half I am going to throw some cut strawberries in there at 62% ABV and let it pull some flavors and drink it as shots.

Let's see what happens.🤞

Setsumi
Swill Maker

Re: Newbie from South Africa

Post by Setsumi » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 pm

welcom Scratcbuild... myself from RSA and your name is how i would descibe my builds.. have a twin build that i will post up here in a week or 2.
press https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79008
twins viewtopic.php?f=50&t=80886
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?

shadylane
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Newbie from South Africa

Post by shadylane » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:33 pm

Welcome to the forum
Every since SA started prohibition there's been a lot more folks from your "neck of the woods" joining :lol: