Hello from NC

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

mangolia
Novice

Hello from NC

Post by mangolia »

Hi all,

Long time lurker (learner) from the great state of NC and finally taking the plunge. I am currently in the process of designing my first still but I've been making beer / liquors (krupnikas is my fav) for a long time so ready for the next step. I've done a lot of reading, I particularly like the Amphora Society books, and am looking forward to getting my hands dirty.

Currently building my first keg boiler and designing a shotgun condenser, looking forward to contributing to the home distiller conversation!
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hello from NC

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, please post pictures showing the steps in your build in the construction section. This is one reason the forum is so successful in helping others.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Welcome neighbor
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome mangolia!

Good to hear you're taking the plunge down the rabbit hole. As long as you are designing your shotgun, here is an excellent analysis by an HD member on optimizing your shotgun. I used these numbers when I built mine and it works great.

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
mangolia
Novice

Post by mangolia »

Thanks all! Seems like a great community to join and contribute to so I'll def post my build plans and finished build for others to check out. Twisted thanks for the info. I've been reading and re-reading the write up's that you and Zapata posted and they have been a huge help / inspiration so a big thank you.
MexicanCustard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MexicanCustard »

Always happy to see another tar heel. Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mangolia
Novice

Post by mangolia »

Haha well not so much of a Tar Heel more of a Mountaineer myself ;)
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Cackalack represent!

Share a krupnikas recipe if ya got one. Had a taste of one out of Durham a while back, no idea if it's good though, nothing to compare it to.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome!