Mandatory first post.

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

fran_ois
Novice

Mandatory first post.

Post by fran_ois »

Hello! Looks like there needs to be this mandatory post before talking anywhere else in here, so here is the post. I'm interested in distilling, not so much about building the still. I know people will hate me for it, but doing it myself will mean I'll never do it and just have a pile of copper turning green in a corner of my basement.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mandatory first post.

Post by tombombadil »

Building a still is indeed fun. However... better to buy one and get started then to never get started at all. Welcome!
SuburbanShiner
Novice

Post by SuburbanShiner »

Welcome, fran_ois! Nothing wrong with purchasing still equipment. I have been home distilling for years now and I still don't have the interest or skills to build one myself .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

No one going to hate you for buying , But be very very aware that there are many crappily made commercially built stills out there for sale.
You will get what you pay for..pay little you will get cheap shit.....pay more and you will get mid range....pay more again and your in the same place that a person who builds is.
Also be very sure of what sort of still you need to own to make the spirits that you want to make / drink.
Many newbs jump into buying without even considering those things.
Not all still types do all things well.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome. No hatred for a distiller! Usually it is recommended to build your own "toy" because there is some satisfaction, to save and to learn (DIY lovers will understand me) but there is nothing wrong with buying one. It's just a road, nothing more.