Newbie here from Colorado

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

TOASTER100
Novice

Newbie here from Colorado

Post by TOASTER100 »

Thanks for having me. Been brewing beer for almost 3 years now. Built my own 20 gallon electric all grain HERMs rig. Looking to branch out and possibly experiment with distilling spirits. Despite a solid knowledge of brewing, I don’t know much about distilling
TOASTER100
Novice

Re: Newbie here from Colorado

Post by TOASTER100 »

Just built a boiler out of a half barrel keg (15.5 gallon) that will run with a temp probe and 5500 watt element controlled by a PID. Picked up a modular column that can be configured to be a pot still or reflux still. Excited to make whisky/whiskey
silverbean
Novice
Location: Downunder If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Post by silverbean »

Welcome Toaster your brewing experience will make life easier for you but forget about the PID. Despite what some Youtube videos say they are the wrong tool for controlling a still. A PID tries to control temperature but the ABV of whats in the boiler governs the boiling temperature and will change during the run. A simple SCR power controller works better. Plenty of reading on here with loads of better info than most Youtube channels.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome Toaster100