Never done it, but just bought a still, and need some help

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

normandy
Novice

Never done it, but just bought a still, and need some help

Post by normandy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:07 am

Hello to everybody, I am new here. I have made some wine and beer in the past. In fact I made some wine from my fig tree last month that is turned out nice and strong! but I have never distilled.
I need some help with using my newly bought still but the intro says don't ask any distilling questions :D .

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Never done it, but just bought a still, and need some help

Post by Deplorable » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:30 am

Welcome to the rim of the rabbit hole. Start reading, and type your questions into the search feature. It works incredibly well.
Read until your eyes bleed, and all of your questions will be answered.
Post a picture of your new still in the "My First.." section. Lest see what ya bought!
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

NineInchNails
Trainee

Re: Never done it, but just bought a still, and need some help

Post by NineInchNails » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:51 am

Which still did you buy? Got a link? There's quite a few different designs these days.

I find it helpful to read the pinned topics. There's some good books you can easily find online for free in PDF format. 'The Complete Distiller' is one that I think of first.

Once you know what kind of still you have, then you'll know what types of products you can make. Head over to the 'Proven Recipes' section and start fermenting. Fun! Learning how to run your still is fun too.