Hello from the big smoke

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fruitmaster
Novice

Hello from the big smoke

Post by Fruitmaster »

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time joiner. I am a young professional distiller with a keen interest in experimentation and home distillation. Keen to contribute and learn.

All the best

Seb
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Hello from the big smoke

Post by Demy »

Welcome Fruitmaster!
Up in the Shed
Novice

Post by Up in the Shed »

Welcome. Sounds like your experience may be valuable here
Up in the Shed

---20 Gallon EHERMS, 2" Pot Stil---
Fruitmaster
Novice

Post by Fruitmaster »

Cheers guys, looking forward to it!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Welcome.
Experimentation? As in curious in general, or specifically distilling experiments?

What are running during your day job?
Do they provide you with R&D tools?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Aboard Fruity.
Like LWTCS Im interested to know more about your job......fully understand if you don't care to say to much.
Fruitmaster
Novice

Post by Fruitmaster »

LWTCS wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:31 am Welcome.
Experimentation? As in curious in general, or specifically distilling experiments?

What are running during your day job?
Do they provide you with R&D tools?
Day job I am currently running a bunch of different gin stills. Making liqueurs, gin, absinthe, (plus a recycled heads and tails vodka as we buy duty paid spirit). We have 2x 600l stills and 5m column sat in a storage arch waiting for a new site build for brown spirits. We are basically picking up equipment from distilleries going out of business whilst building off our direct to consumer model that has allowed us to grow without mega investment.

Curious around the world of alcohol. Including but not limited to copper working, beer/mead/wine/spirit creation, historical recipes and styles, yeast propagation/capture, sustainability, power, innovation in distilling, recipe creation, growing heritage ingredients, bacteria innoculation and basically just going down the rabbit hole.

In the current COVID climate my scope for professional R&D has reduced significantly but if I can tie it to a custom spirit commission I can justify the expense. I also had a membership with a distilling/bar group co working lab up in Dalston but I am not sure if they will be alive come covid's end.