Greeting from Dublin

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Craytur
Novice

Greeting from Dublin

Post by Craytur »

Hi,
I'm form Dublin. Interested mainly in whiskey. The classic Irish whiskey type especially: Pure Pot Still, now called Single Pot Still. I don't see much about that around the forum. And I have searched. I'm new to making, but not new to appreciating the water of life.
See you around.
Craytur
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Greeting from Dublin

Post by Demy »

welcome to the forum craytur!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to HD. There is plenty of info but single pot still is a term that is only in Ireland although anyone can do it it just legally can’t be called that. Here is the definition I found:
First, it must be produced in Ireland at a single distillery. Next, it must be made with at least 30% malted and 30% unmalted (or “green”) barley. This combination gives the style its unique texture and flavor. Finally, single pot still whiskey is traditionally triple distilled—though it’s not required.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

You can make a light Tullamore dew esk spirit on a single run with a plater.

If you're after something more like red breast you'll likely need a pot still and many hours at it.

Welcome in
Don't be a dick
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Craytur wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:09 am Hi,
I'm form Dublin. Interested mainly in whiskey. The classic Irish whiskey type especially: Pure Pot Still, now called Single Pot Still. I don't see much about that around the forum. And I have searched. I'm new to making, but not new to appreciating the water of life.
See you around.
Craytur
Welcome. You might want to take a look at this:
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... r#p7596433

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome to HD craytur. Best of luck learning to make good Irish whiskey. Lots of good info here on pot stilling, triple distilling, and there are some good recipes in the tried & true recipe section that fit the grain Bill you need, or are close to what you need to make a descent Irish drop. Learn to make a good happy all grain ferment and you’ll be well on your way to a good spirit.

I really enjoyed visiting your wonderful city. I’m from Oregon and had a fun picnic/anniversary party under the 170 year old Oregon Maples in the courtyard of Trinity college. I was sad to learn they both came down recently, but happy they were replaced with new Oregon maples from my home state. I’m lifting a glass now to their health for the next 170 years.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels