Anyone ever heard this?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

straight_shot
Novice

Anyone ever heard this?

Post by straight_shot »

while reading through ADI, stumbled upon this little jewel and thought I'd share, as it's news to me.

"Aeration during fermentation breeds more yeast and less alcohol."

Any thoughts?
Just because you can act like a douche bag, doesn't mean you should!
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Anyone ever heard this?

Post by Bohunk »

In the presence of oxygen, yeast build the colony, when oxygen is in small supply yeast will get busy and feed, or make alcohol. When starting a ferment, you should whip up some foam, that gives the yeast a good start at colonization. When the colony gets big enough it will start making alcohol. This is all pretty basic for anyone who ferments anything.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Certain stages of yeast growth (colony propagation) need oxygen and later stages (ethanol production) do not.

So, aerate before pitching, leaving the cap on an all grain, not agitating after 24 hours or so, covered fermentor with a co2 layer trapped on top or some combo in between would maximize alcohol production.

Yep!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Aerobic fermentation stage = oxygen present and the yeast colony primarily multiplies

Anaerobic fermentation stage = no oxygen present and the yeast colony primarily turns sugar into CO2 and alcohol

The OP should have learned this during what we consider mandatory research here in these forums and the parent site... It's also covered in the Yeasts, Enzymes, Fungi, Nutrients subforum...
RNaka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RNaka »

rad14701 wrote:Aerobic fermentation stage = oxygen present and the yeast colony primarily multiplies

Anaerobic fermentation stage = no oxygen present and the yeast colony primarily turns sugar into CO2 and alcohol

The OP should have learned this during what we consider mandatory research here in these forums and the parent site... It's also covered in the Yeasts, Enzymes, Fungi, Nutrients subforum...

Maybe the point the OP intended to make is that some advise against aerating wort prior to adding yeast to promote higher ethanol production.

Reed

edit to add this link about the pros and cons about oxygenating your wort

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... 7&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I doubt you'll see much of anything there that hasn't been discussed here... We've had some in depth discussions here about yeast over the years... Seems almost cyclic...
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Do enough reading here and you will see that it's all been covered before.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
RNaka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RNaka »

rad14701 wrote:I doubt you'll see much of anything there that hasn't been discussed here... We've had some in depth discussions here about yeast over the years... Seems almost cyclic...

I guess if it's all been discussed might as well not even have a forum.

Back to lurk mode.
straight_shot
Novice

Post by straight_shot »

While I am aware of the benefits of aerating, I was not aware that anyone would aerate during fermentation. Nor was I aware of the subesquent results.

The reason I posted is because I had read the following quote " bottom line there is no added benefit to aerating during the mashing or fermentation process".
I guess the lesson here is if you read conflicting information don't ask about it because it's been talked about and even though it may seem confusing it really is quite straight forward, the answer is don't ask. Didn't mean to post something that has already been talked about on here.

I suppose you can shut down about 95% of this site as it already been covered.
As far as that goes, why don't you just have everyone submit all post to the moderators for review and then you won't be bothered. :wtf:
while you're at it you might as well shut off members ability to post or reply once they reach a certain level as it's all cyclic and they have nothing more to offer.
Last edited by straight_shot on Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
straight_shot
Novice

Post by straight_shot »

Tokoroa_Shiner wrote:Do enough reading here and you will see that it's all been covered before.
Note to self: Read do not post. GOT IT
If you haven't seen it or cannot find it, Do not ask. GOT IT
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Ehhhhh...
straight_shot, I liked your post. It showed a newer poster was researching. I think these posts act as a "bump" and stimulate newer members to research basics. Lots of readers who knew nothing about aeration and yeast got an inkling.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Yep liked your post also stright shot.Agrees that it acts as a bump .Also helps I think to encourage more searches before posting.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
straight_shot
Novice

Post by straight_shot »

DAD300 wrote:Ehhhhh...
straight_shot, I liked your post. It showed a newer poster was researching. I think these posts act as a "bump" and stimulate newer members to research basics. Lots of readers who knew nothing about aeration and yeast got an inkling.
Thank you!