cracked corn to water ratio

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yossarian
Novice

cracked corn to water ratio

Post by yossarian »

Trying to plan out my first 100% corn mash with alpha and gluco enzymes. Wondering what ratio of water to cracked corn to use. I'm using a no boil method in a 150 q cooler. Thinking of adding 20 gal of boiling water to 40# cracked corn and then adding alpha when temp gets to 160. Thoughts?
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: cracked corn to water ratio

Post by bearriver »

See Booners in the T&T by Woodshed. Awesome recipe. :thumbup:
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Yoss adding enzyme to corn not cooked beyond saccrification will be a waste of enzymes. Adding yeast after the cooling would be adequate. A little flavor from the hot water is all you will be getting.
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

ga flatwoods wrote:Yoss adding enzyme to corn not cooked beyond saccrification will be a waste of enzymes. Adding yeast after the cooling would be adequate. A little flavor from the hot water is all you will be getting.

I think he is talking about adding the boiling water to the cracked corn. it should drop to 180sih . let it "cook " like that for 3 plus hours in an insulated mash tun. im doing the same method with my finely cracked corn. after three hours its a soft cooked mush of corn. by that time im almost at the right temp for my malt. add my malt at 150ish then I let it rest for 2-3 hours . been working well

OP , anywhere between 2 to 2.5 lbs some push up to three of grain to water is a good ratio. if you get a good conversion from 2:1 you should be at around 1.05 -1.06 or so.

good luck
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

using alpha and beta enzymes, ya i think id drop a dog turd in there to. enzymes are a wonderful addition to the mash the o;d timers would have done it if they had them. drop 20% 6 row or 2 row and some rye.

enzymes are like a supplement can you live on supplements?
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

These enzymes are no more a supplement than the ones found in the grain thru malting. Different process is all.
Got a load of shot in your ass tonight Duck?
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

I was working on the same question last night, namely what ratio? Research says Woodshed recommended 1.8 pounds per gallon, some recommended up to 3 pounds per gallon.
My batch last night on freshly sprouted corn with one inch roots. I used 15 gallons of water mixed with backset 40 pounds of corn and had a fairly low yield of 1.035. Oh well, chasing the ever elusive malt and conversion mix and temps. Part of the journey I guess.
Next up, I will be more than willing to drop the dog turd in and use some high temp amylase. Still beats sugar, hands down, any day of the week! Why not?!?
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

read this

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... Conversion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow