What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Oldvine Zin »

After doing a couple runs of rum... bottled some of my Booners all corn after about 4 months in a 1 gal barrel
booners.JPG
wow so good that I had to start another
polenta.JPG
Thank-you Woodshed!!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Finally got around to the spirit run for the last of my sweet potatoes. All said, I wound up with almost a case of sweet potato shine, with a couple bottles worth on oak.
Also ran a 100% rye spirit run, toasted/charred up some oak, and set it way back in the cabinet to find later this fall.
Blackstrap is almost done fermenting, and I'm gonna start up a fresh batch of corn malt bourbon this weekend.
Last big push before the damn fruit flies set in for the summer.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Sounds awesome MCH, let me know if you need a hand with anything

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Due51
Swill Maker

What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Due51 »

Spirit run through the Boka with 6gallons of Birdwatchers low wines + feints. Been going for 9 hours and I might be half way done. I always stop at the mid-point, insert my gin basket with botanicals into the column and finish the run the next day.

I'm going to have an excellent inventory of gin and vodka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those who stay...
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

It is so nice to see this thread. Not been here in a while and I am super happy and proud about some of the things I see posted... I can totally relate to the joy and fun and learning that comes with this hobby. Congrats to everyone who's made some fine shine... Keep it going Y'all.
this is the internet
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Thanks, JD, this is one of my favorite threads.
I travel a lot and enjoy seeing what everyone else is doing when I'm unable to be in my own shed!
Good to see you pop up, stick around. :wave:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Tempered and bottled my first apple brandy after a year on oak. Spiced up a half gallon of 10 month old rum to take to the state bowling tournament next weekend.

Stripped 2 runs of 4th gen UJ. Have 10 gallons of low wines collected for a last spirit run. Cleaned up the fermenters and put them away. Two more 12 gallon rum runs to do and i'll be done until fall. :cry:
I get way too busy with work through the summer and it gets way to hot to run in my garage then.

Seasons over until harvest time then run like hell through the winter to rebuild aging stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Yesterday night I did a stripping run of a new second generation UJSSM. Collected 5L out of 17L wash and was surprised by the high ABV of the Low Wines: 45%. That must mean that the ABV of the wash must have exceeded 13%! I stopped anyway because it was way late and I was pulling below 20%. First gen Low wines are 4,5L @30%ABV, which sounds more correct. Let's see what comes out of the third generation stripping run...then I'll spirit run everything.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Well it's not hooch, but its mashed. Using both my 15.5g brewkettle and my 15.5g still, staggered by 2 hours to share a mashtun, Im doing 10 gallons of a hopped up RyePA and 10 gallons of easy summer drinkin Hefeweizen. Doublin up like this will keep ya dancin.... Now whosa, whatsthisfrom, when did I add.... :crazy: :crazy:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Built more fence for my spent grain disposal system. I convert my spent grains to ham, bacon and other pork products.
Jimbo it sounds like ya might be ready for a drink.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

jedneck wrote:Built more fence for my spent grain disposal system. I convert my spent grains to ham, bacon and other pork products.
Do the hogs ever catch a buzz?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

jedneck wrote:Built more fence for my spent grain disposal system. I convert my spent grains to ham, bacon and other pork products.
I got 20 gallon of beer worth of spent barley, wheat and rye malt here. 46 lbs to be exact. Wish I had pigs, or you were closer Jed. I was ready for a drink at 12:01. On my 3rd now as the wort chiller cools off the 2nd batch of beer. Almost done, at which time Ill move to my favorite chair under the oak tree with my 4th and a nice cigar. 6 hours 30 for 20 gallons of beer, not bad, gonna start doubling up more often.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

I'm mashing a bourbon grist now for another 10 gallons to ferment. I might strip the previous batch if I feel lke it after this is done.
Canaanite
Bootlegger

Post by Canaanite »

I made a gallon of strawberry melomel today. We'll see how it turns out in a few months.
I'm gonna invest in stocks and bonds. Lace stockings and "un"Bonded Whiskey.
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

Made 3 gallons of peach cobbler shine. Mix it with ice tea and it goes down fast
smokeskrene4207
Swill Maker

Post by smokeskrene4207 »

I started my first ever ujssm. 3.5 gallons water 5lb sugar 5lb cracked corn in 5 gallon bucket with an SG of 1.057 x 3. I'll run through unpacked boka ran wide open. Thanks home distiller.org!!
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Yesterday I started a 50L mash of single malt peated whisky. Easy as a peach following Jimbo AG T&T (thank you Jimbo!):

50L water
2 tbs gypsum
10kg light whishy barley malt (20ppm)
23gr US-05 (two packets)

OG was 1053, and it sound pretty correct to me using ratio 1.7 pounds/gallon.

In the night it started boiling, I am fermenting on the grain in my garage where the temp is around 18C. Let's see when this is done.
ej9071
Novice

Post by ej9071 »

10 gallons water. 5 pounds flaked corn, 1.5 pounds malted barley and 1.5 pounds malted Rye. This is the second batch. Had to add 8 lbs. sugar to fermentation as well prior to pitching yeast. Yeilded ~10% abv. pre-strip. First batch is aging with american oak chips.
It is no use doing what you like; you have got to like what you do. - Winston Churchill
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Yesterday while running a batch of apple the half assed stand I had holding one of my two cooling reservoirs failed, spilling 25 gallons of water on my floor and ending my run early so today I built a whole assed stand out of 4X4s that will be able to hold anything I want to put on it.
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Stripping some bourbon today.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

Took the last few months of rum experiments/work and did a spirit run.

Had some finished that had to many tails and the results of 4 prior stripping runs into the pot. double thumpers charged with rich heads and sour tails.

Low and slow at medium power then let her simmer for a few hours with a slow stream off the parrot.

16 jars at 85% before it bobbed and cut the power at 70%.
Tickedmeoff
Novice

Post by Tickedmeoff »

Got up this AM to find the rhubarb flattened out by the local deer having a snooze. Hacked it up and got er ready for the tank. Put about 29lbs barb 18lbs sugar a pack red star bread yeast in 12 gals well water. Couple weeks in there and wallah into the spirit bin. :mrgreen:
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... nnedy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

During the weekend I did a UJ 3rd generation stripping run and then combined the three generations low wines in a spirit run. Had a yield of 6 liters out of three 19 liters mashes. Tonight I'm going to run the first 25L of AG peated barley malt.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Today I was picking elderflowers. Walking besides a river. What a nice day and nice weather!

One half I mazerate in neutral. I will lauter and sparge it and redistill in a few days.
The other half I mazerate in thick sugar water, making a syrup. I will lauter and sparge in a few days, dilute and ferment.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

der wo wrote: The other half I mazerate in thick sugar water, making a syrup. I will lauter and sparge in a few days, dilute and ferment.
My MIL also does edelflowers syrup, we call it improperly edelflower honey and use it as a cough remedy or refreshing beverade diluted with sparkling water. I never thought about fermenting it, is it a first for you or have you done it already?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

It's my first. But I have posted with another distiller (German speaking forum), who did it often successfully. I trust him. He told me, the crucial point is, not to ferment and distill "on the flowers". He tried both and says, first making a sirup (high sugar, that it does not start to ferment) and then remove the flowers is the best way.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 »

Ran my second stripping run ever of second half of a 15 gallon corn sugar wash. Started at 62%abv for one quart of heads. Second quart was 55% abv and very nice. 3rd quart just came off and output was down to 45% ABV. I saved 3 quarts from first stripping run and will use these to top off a gallon that I am going to put on oak. Everything else is going back into a spirit run. Just checked SG on 20 gallons of sweet feed wash I have fermenting and it is still bubbling at 1.000. Life is good. Take the time today to say a prayer and remember our fallen heroes. God Bless our Soldiers and God Bless The USA!!
I dream of a worm running like a water hose.....
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

der wo wrote:Today I was picking elderflowers. Walking besides a river. What a nice day and nice weather!

One half I mazerate in neutral. I will lauter and sparge it and redistill in a few days.
In case I have inspired someone to try it this way. Please don't. After short time the in alcohol mazerated elderflowers smell awful and the distillate too. I will try another version perhaps in a few days or next year: Mazerating in water (perhaps adding citric acid against oxidation and molding), lautering and sparging. And adding the alcohol just before distilling.
der wo wrote:The other half I mazerate in thick sugar water, making a syrup. I will lauter and sparge in a few days, dilute and ferment.
This version smells fantastic and ferments right now.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Ran some corn gumball head - getting better at driving Anna, after fores I collected 15 pints at 93 to 90% :D Should make some good applepie
Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 »

Anna must be a fine machine!!!!
I dream of a worm running like a water hose.....