how much backset for gluco enzyme?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rager
Distiller

how much backset for gluco enzyme?

Post by rager »

ive been using liqui enzymes for about a year with some pretty good success. the one thing ive never done is adjust the PH for the gluco enzyme. from my reading it appears that lowering the PH to mid 5s is optimal for the gluco.

so heres the thing. i dont have a ph tester , ive got city and im not to sure of the ph . but for agruments sake lets say its in the 7s ( what is most city water?)

so with all that im starting a rice mash and i have some backset from the previous rice mash saved (2 gallons).

my question is , how much of the backset would you recommend based on the little info ive given you to bring a 6-7 gallon mash down to the opitmal ph range for the gluco enzyme? a cup ? a gallon? no idea because i didnt give you enough info? i should go buy a ph meter?

thanks

btw, rice mash once through with a thumper makes a great pot stil vodka in one run. rice is now my new thing ive been working with and i want to maximize my yeilds. last mash i hit 1.054 and finished at .998. at a little over 2 pounds a gallon ratio.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: how much backset for gluco enzyme?

Post by bitter »

You need ph meter or strips to test for ph. Without your flying blind. Also depending on the water supply and hardness you will need more or less.

PH meter on amazon are not much.. Worth the investment.

You did ok considering not watching ph.. ph is the key to enzymes.

B
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I can usually get my pH down with about a pint to a quart of backset in a 5 gal bucket.

I've also done some rice lately and I really like it. For that I've been using an acid blend.
I mix up the crystals in a quart of water and then use about 1/4 cup per bucket.

Pick up some pH strips at your brew shop. They're cheap and close enough for getting in range.
Getting close in pH will definitely make your enzymes much happier.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:I can usually get my pH down with about a pint to a quart of backset in a 5 gal bucket.

thank you sir, that is kinda the info i was looking for.

im a real big fan of rice as well. cheep and makes for a great drop. im really aiming to create a nice neutral for infusions. there is no way id use my hard earned bourbon or wiskey for panty dropper or apple pie.

i think my next step is to order a corona mill . right now im cooking the rice until its mush between my fingers. hoping the mill will also help with yeild and less cooking time.

cheers
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I don't know what your water is like, so take this advice with a grain of salt :lol:
I've been using 1 to 2 gallons of frozen backset per 20 gallons of mash.
The frozen backset, has boiled yeast for nutrients and cools and adjusts the pH for the Gluco.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

shadylane wrote:I don't know what your water is like, so take this advice with a grain of salt :lol:
I've been using 1 to 2 gallons of frozen backset per 20 gallons of mash.
The frozen backset, has boiled yeast for nutrients and cools and adjusts the pH for the Gluco.
so between you an MCH, it sounds like 1 quart would be a good starting point for a 6 gallon mash. ive got a couple buckets going so i might try a little more in one, and a little less in the other and see if my conversion is any better. i obviously dont want the ph to be to low and screw with the yeast.

right now im at 12 pounds of rice with 6 gallons of water . temp is getting close to 148 after 3-4 hours of cooking in the bucket. rice is mostly soft between my fingers. it will continue to cook during mashing and the enzymes should work through out the ferment as the rice continues break down from soaking in the mash.

id love to hit 1.06. especially because this is one of very few ferments i have gotten to get under 1.0. i dont believe i added any nutients either, using bakers yeast
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Your right, it's best to not use too much backset.
Also the Gluco will keep working at fermentation temps, if the pH doesn't drop low enough to denature it.
Since the pH will drop while the mash is fermenting, it's probably best not have the pH too low at the beginning.
Scarfinger
Bootlegger

Post by Scarfinger »

From my experience... Using a cheap liquid PH tester "General Hydroponics"

My water PH is 7 to 8
Boil water, add cornmeal
PH drops to 5'ish, sometimes close to 4.
During fermentation it definitely drops into the 4 range as far as I can tell.

you may not really need anything to lower your PH.

I will be adding Calcium Carbonate to my next mash to help keep PH from going to low and I have read that calcium is used by the enzymes and helps with fermentation.