200 gallon still

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Northgamtns
Novice

Re: 200 gallon still

Post by Northgamtns »

jdonly1 wrote:
Godstilla wrote:
powdermillbill wrote:if I buy a 200 gallon still how much approxamately distillate will i get out ? if I can achieve 93proof...
93 PROOF? I'm having my rig overhauled because I couldn't blow past 180 proof. I wish I had your expectations.
180 proof,I carnt get past 193 proof :mrgreen:

Hell farrrrr!!!!!! 193 proof? Thats crazy... I am a beginner though so maybe thats a normal max
We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys can't do
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

193.4 (US) proof is the highest attainable through standard distillation. :wink:

If you assume a 150 gallon charge @ 10% ABV, there is 15 gallons of pure ethanol available.
For a potstill this size to be viable, I would think a collection rate of at least 5 gallon an hour would be required. (6 hours to collect 30 gallons of 50%)
I'm guessing you would need a column in the 6" range to keep a reflux run to under 24 hours.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
phenol 90
Novice

Post by phenol 90 »

Man, that's a lot...

That's a lot of sugar!

Or will you be mashing? That's alot of mash and lauter tun and a heck of a lot of grain!

That's a lot of fermenter / wash-back too.

Seems like a lot of hobby, got a lot of time?

If you do and it is a lot of 'by-the-book' hobby, you may want to check in here as well:

http://adiforums.com/index.php?act=idx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

A lot of 'by-the-book' commercial distilling enthusiasts seem to be doing a lot of posting here about similar quantities.

Maybe though, you just saw the Colonel's 220 Gallon Double Diamond Copper Still, heard the sound track and had tortured pipe dreams for a few days thereafter like I did: http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/id51.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Best of luck and stay clean......
The Apprentice
Novice

Post by The Apprentice »

I have lusted after the Colonels stills from afar.Image Even if I won the lottery the 60 gallon would be as large as I would go. I love pot stills. Of course if I won the lottery, I could have a row of them.
If you like learning from the mistakes of others, follow me. I'm making them all.
BigBlue
Novice

Post by BigBlue »

The Apprentice wrote:I have lusted after the Colonels stills from afar.Image Even if I won the lottery the 60 gallon would be as large as I would go. I love pot stills. Of course if I won the lottery, I could have a row of them.
I have been doing alot of reading and looking and reading and came to the final thought I will stick to 5gal at a time .

Why not go all out for the low low low price of $10900 you can have this.