How long do you ferment your mash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How long do you ferment your mash

Post by bronzdragon »

Generally I primary ferment for a week, and then rack to a secondary and let it settle out for a week then run it. But I usually don't dump floaty things into my fermenters like grain (i do the mash first etc.)

This has served me well in the past. But like has been said before, sometimes you have a fast ferment, sometimes a slow. A good thing to have around is a hydrometer, in case you have an idea that the ferment has not completed quite yet.

~bd~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
plonker
Swill Maker

Post by plonker »

Im with rubber duck, get enough fermenters and it doesn't matter how long It takes.

Im always behind, always got something that needs running... right now I got 2 rums, 2 UJSSM and a single malt I just put on..
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

My molasses wash's usually ferment right out within around ten days, depending on weather. Currently the temperatures have been warmish (around 35c) so the time taken is probably a week. I don't fuss about it and just let it go until it's finished. There's no rush.
On the other hand, honey washes take months to finish in the cooler weather, but my latest ferment has been going for three weeks and is still fermenting, by keeping the nutrients up to it. Honey is notoriously slow to ferment out.

So, I guess the answer is that fermentation takes somewhere between a week and several months. If you get impatient the answer is to have - as previously suggested - several ferments going at the same time.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
shotshell12
Novice

Post by shotshell12 »

Big thanks to all that posted here yall told me a bunch i did let it stop working but i did not give it time to settle and i am using my corm meal for the second time and it is sizzling this is a lot of fun
good luck to all and happy thanks giving shot