No conversion? Help!

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chrisl
Novice

No conversion? Help!

Post by chrisl »

Hello: Yesterday, I took 8 pounds of cracked corn, 4 gallons of water, PH Buffer, and some alpha.I cooked the cracked corn, at 180 for about two hours. I then mashed it good, with a large masher, let it rest to 150. Then, I added 2 pounds of crushed, 2 row malted barley, and one beano tab. I wrap the pot and monitored the temp. It stayed around 150 to 135 for about 3-4 hours. This morning, I took a look at it, and no conversion. I have a glob of mush. Anyone have any ideas what happened. Is this mash a waste, or can I try to re-cook it. Thank you Chris
plonker
Swill Maker

Re: No conversion? Help!

Post by plonker »

You dont need to throw it away, bring your temp up to 155 for an hour or two. Also 2 pounds of two row is probably not quite enough, 20% of 6 row will convert but 2 row has less enzymes, so maybe up it a bit. 40% would be better, 50% better still..
I get most of my conversion in the first 30 mins, hope that helps.. (also hope I got my metric conversions right.. :D )
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

Hey Plunker: Thank you, I am on it right now Chris
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

if the barley was crushed "base malt" it should work .less enzymes just means it will take longer to convert.
stir it so as the lumps are gone and the enzymes come in contact with starch.heat will also make it work faster (not over 160f)
Iv also have done it "cold" just pitch yeast. yeast and enzymes will work together but makes for longer ferment.
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

and some alpha.I cooked the cracked corn, at 180 for about two hours.

If by "alpha" you mean enzymes, I think you killed them with the 180° cooking. Then you let it cool to 150°, and tossed-in the malt? The malt will have cooled the wash too much, and you missed the malt's most efficient temperature. Add the malt when the wash is closer to 160-170, and you'll see the temps drop quickly to 150-155, which is ideal.

As dnder says, it should still go, but she'll take a while now, or you can carefully bring it up to 155° and hold it a while.
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

Thanks Barney: I really appreciate all your guys help, still got a lot to learn, this is a great hobby, having a lot of fun. Chris