went all grain, questions

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

brewmaker1
Swill Maker

Re: went all grain, questions

Post by brewmaker1 »

dec3223 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:21 pm
I am familiar with the potential of rye to cake uo during mashing in for beer so will. E adding some rice gulls. Thus is my first attempt at an all grain for use in distilling. I started brewing all grain and can't seam to shake the need to do this "old school". Thanka for the help.
If you're already brewin all-grain beer, doing an all-grain mash will be a piece of cake. The corn is the only thing that is different.
arentwejusthere
Swill Maker

Post by arentwejusthere »

I came here from all grain brewing myself. Really I started all grain brewing because years ago I found this site, and decided that before I started distilling I'd better learn yeast management, mashing, etc. Anyway, you'll be well on your way with your beer skillset, but you will have to toss some old habits from the beer world.

The rice hulls might be one of them. I'm assuming you're going to ferment on grain and you're not looking to sparge this batch, but instead squeeze out the end product. Another, at least for me, was not losing your mind when you get a lacto "infection".
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

arentwejusthere wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:17 am Anyway, you'll be well on your way with your beer skillset, but you will have to toss some old habits from the beer world.
It's been fun to see how differently so many things get done for distillation than for beer.
arentwejusthere
Swill Maker

Post by arentwejusthere »

Same here. Kind of wild at the onset, but you get used to it.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

It’s gonna be like syrup. Better add a glucan rest to reduce the stickiness. Rest at 110-115*F for 30 to 45 minutes on your way up to saccharification.

Good luck, especially if you’ve never done an all grain beer before.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K