Aeration of mash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chrisl
Novice

Aeration of mash

Post by chrisl »

Is there any benefit to about half way through fermintation aerating your wash or just leave it alone. I have started doing a 25 gallon 12 generation UJSSM wash. I aerate with a drill motor and a grout paddle at the start, also have a internal heater keeping it @ 75-80 degrees. Thanks
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Aeration of mash

Post by Braz »

Never made UJSSM, but I never aerate anything after fermentation begins. I don't see any point to it. The yeastie beasties need oxygen at the start while they reproduce themselves. After that, when the oxy is depleted they go after the sugar. If you aerate at that point you distract them from their job and they leave the sugar and go for the oxy again.

That is my simple understanding of it anyway.
Braz
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

Makes sense. Thanks Braz
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I don,t purposely add any oxygen after the ferment starts but if I stir the cap back into the mash it happens. The answer to your question is no it's not going to be beneficial, but if it happens it won't hurt anything either.

Beer and wine are a different matter, you never want to add oxygen after the ferment starts.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

chrisl wrote:I have started doing a 25 gallon 12 generation UJSSM wash
12 generations of 25 gallons? Hope you've got lots of storage space, or lots of friends, or a 50 gallon barell....
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

Maybe I did not word that right. I am on my 12th generation of UJSSM. I have only been doing 5 gallon washes at a time. I now have a 55 gallon food grade drum and I am doing my first 25 gallon wash in this. I just switched to a keg still so I can do around 13 gallons at a time. This is some good drinking, it keeps just getting bettor.
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

Ahh, I see. I agree 5 gallons at a time gets old quick. Carry on my friend. Course its only a matter of time before you actually will be on your 12th generation of 25 gallons....... :twisted:
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...