A few dumb questions

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Serenity
Novice

A few dumb questions

Post by Serenity »

I guess I got Alzheimers cos im getting dummer and more forgetful as I get older.

Please remind me if Im kind to my lees after ferment and treat the yeast right with a nice home, will they do the business again one day soon? Do they need a good meal or pep pills before hibernation? or just pop them in a jar and slam them in the chiller?

Also, how essential is an airlock?, will a tuft of cotton wool in the bottle neck be ok?
And, how critical is the ferment temp when using a store bought dried active baking yeast?

Cheers
blind drunk
retired

Re: A few dumb questions

Post by blind drunk »

Please remind me if Im kind to my lees after ferment and treat the yeast right with a nice home, will they do the business again one day soon? Do they need a good meal or pep pills before hibernation? or just pop them in a jar and slam them in the chiller?
Scoop up a 1/2 jar and set it in the fridge. Within a couple of days, a layer of wash will form over top as the lees releases it. Then when you're ready, you can take 1/4 jar and make a 1/2 gallon starter with it by mixing some molasses, water and your lees up t 1.04 on the hydrometer. Let it go for a least 4 hours. I usually let it go for about 18-24 hours. Keep the lid on your starter jar loose!!
Also, how essential is an airlock?, will a tuft of cotton wool in the bottle neck be ok?
Never used cotton. I just wrap the carboy top or W-H-Y with some saran wrap (learned that here).
And, how critical is the ferment temp when using a store bought dried active baking yeast?
Baker's yeast doesn't really like the cooler temps. Shoot for between 70-80 F.

Good luck.
I do all my own stunts
Serenity
Novice

Re: A few dumb questions

Post by Serenity »

Thank you Blind Drunk, it looks like im good to go and shall be burning some midnight oil making my first wash.