What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

punkin
Master Distiller

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by punkin » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:42 pm

Ran the mixed friut/berry spirit run on mon, came out a treat. Running sundays sr barley all grain strip atm, it finnished down to 1000 yesterday, don't hold out much hope yeild wise...

junkyard dawg
Master Distiller

Post by junkyard dawg » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:48 am

well, that apple wine...9 or 10 gallons of it shrunk down to 9 qt mason jars. Combined with another 5 qts of brandy from another batch makes 14 qts single run apple brandy. I added one qt of the wine to the boiler and got 9 qts from heads to just beginning tails. I'm pretty happy with the yield. Thats a LOT of apples that got condensed down into those jars. The flavor is straight apple. Awesome. Now I get to decide what to do with it... Theres still 3 qts of the apple wine. Who ever it was that taught me the trick of saving some of the wine or mash to add into the spirit run... thanks. I know it was here. great tip for boosting flavor. This batch is by far the truest to the flavor of the original apple juice.
this is the internet

punkin
Master Distiller

Post by punkin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:01 am

junkyard dawg wrote: Who ever it was that taught me the trick of saving some of the wine or mash to add into the spirit run... thanks. I know it was here. great tip for boosting flavor. This batch is by far the truest to the flavor of the original apple juice.

I picked it up from something Wineo said, i always do it now for everything, may have been me talking about it that twigged it for you. Makes a very big difference....

Makes your low wines look skanky if it's been in there for a while don't it? :lol:

blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:07 pm

junkyard dawg wrote: Who ever it was that taught me the trick of saving some of the wine or mash to add into the spirit run... thanks.
And thank you for passing this little gem on, Dawg.

Now that I'm getting back to the real world again I'm just about ready to start again. The good thing about going away is that ones product has longer to sit on wood - because I still get impatient :( - and as a result the end drink is much better. I came home to a beautiful Rum still sitting on lemon zest, pineapple, raisins and coriander. Ready to add some molasses for flavour and colour today.

Can't wait to start on Absinthe again. :evil:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.

wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:32 pm

Ran 1/2 of a big batch of plain ol sugar wash that has been setting for over a month,and collected 2 gallons more.One more run of it,and I will have a full boiler spirit run with what Ive saved.I havent started anything else yet,and probably will wait for fall,and start my rum.

Hawke
Distiller

Post by Hawke » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Working on a double boiler. Bought a 100 qt. and a 60 qt. pot from Sportsman's Warehouse. Added a 1" spacer for the 60 to sit on, inside the 100. Turned the lid for the big pot upside down and used a body hammer to do some creative redesign. Then I ground off the rivets for the handle and reversed that using ss bolts to re-attatch. Did a fairly low heat trial, took about 1/2 hour to bring 10 gallons of water(in the cook pot ) to 100*F. Looks like it will work great for no-stir mashing. Going to do a 15 lb batch of corn this weekend.

Also bought a Crankandstien 3d and built a hopper out of .040 aluminum, Have it mounted on the end of my still rack.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat

junkyard dawg
Master Distiller

Post by junkyard dawg » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:32 pm

well, some enterprising fellow went out and cut off a bunch of prickly pear tunas the other day. The general store out here had a few boxes for free... sitting up on the counter. I picked one up to make jelly with... and thought, what the hell... I might mix a little sweetened prickly pear with some apple brandy and see how it is.

Well, its pretty damn good.

I doubt this will ever come in handy to any one else, EVER... but just in case...

http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/200 ... 562_2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prickly_pear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Its a beautiful color and a unique taste.
this is the internet

theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:19 am

Here in New Mexico, we don't just eat the fruits, we also eat the leaves(we call 'em "blades").

They are a breakfast staple with eggs, and they are also standard in fruit bowls here.

I have a friend that makes a batch of mead with the over-ripe red fruits each year.

junkyard dawg
Master Distiller

Post by junkyard dawg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:11 am

Yep, nopalitos is what they are called around here. certain times of the year you will see ladies in the grocery stores scraping the thorns off the pads and cleaning them up for the customers. I'd always been curious about making things with the tunas. That was my first attempt... I couldn't pass up a free box. Whoever picked them did the hardest part... I prefer to avoid too much contact with the prickly pear after an incident involving a motorcycle, youthful bravado and a big cactus. Mom worked the tweezers for hours.... :oops: :cry: :roll:
this is the internet

blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:52 pm

Back in the days when I made wine dawg, I made some prickty pear wine and won first prize with it in our club. Was bloody nice wine too. :D

blanik
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.

blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:00 pm

I couldn't wait any longer to try my new lyne arm, so I decided to brave the cold and put some grape wine through. It should make a nice Brandy, depending on my skills on a completely different still. More detail to come later in the day. Here's hoping :)

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.

blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:50 pm

What an interesting day yesterday was. I love my new lyne arm!!! It seems to be much slower for the vapour to get to the condenser which figures as I have a lot more volume to fill in the 'goose neck' but once it began - and I began to control my panic attack - it flowed perfectly. I was a little too cautious about heat and ran it far to slowly taking twelve hours to distill twelve litres of cabernet merlot. Far to long for a stripping run. I always did two runs in the past but this lot seems good enough to begin ageing.

This morning I checked my fifteen jars of spirit and was very pleasantly surprised how it had improved overnight. Today I'll sort out the heads from the hearts and oak the goodies and return the rest as feints in the next wash.

Overall, it was a very successful run. Whether this set up is better then my old potstill I don't know yet, but I love the look of it so what else is there to worry about. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: Twelve litres of Cab merlot should read 48 litres. There were twelve litres to a box. :oops:

But I still think that you are correct, wineo. It needs a boost along.

blanik
Last edited by blanikdog on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cumudgeon and loving it.

wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:52 pm

It sounds like you need to crank her up a bit,and see what she can really do.I have 12 gallons of wine to run,when I get around to it.Im taking a break for a while.Ive got enough to last for many years now.I still have a big spirit run to do of the plain ol sugar wash.I will probably wait till it cools off some before I run.

blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:29 pm

theholymackerel wrote:Here in New Mexico, we don't just eat the fruits, we also eat the leaves(we call 'em "blades").
You eat the prickly pear leaves?? :shock:
How do you cook the buggers? We have wild ones growing in the bush. I thought of making spirits with the fruit, but the tiny prickles on the fruit reminded me that I just don't have that youthful, unbridled enthusiasm that I had when making wine from the fruit. A beautiful purple colour. Besides, that was three marriages ago. :|

blaniktheloserwhenitcomestopricklypearspikes

With apologies to punkin

Cumudgeon and loving it.

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:59 pm

did I not hear that they burn them sticker off ? douse with "heads" stand back and ignite :o

theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:19 am

Some folks will use a torch to burn off the needles.

Most just use leather gloves and a big pan of sand.

junkyard dawg
Master Distiller

Post by junkyard dawg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:36 pm

The cattle ranchers use a propane torch to burn off the thorns so that their cattle can eat the pads when times get tough. They even refer to those torches as pear burners.

There is a variety of prickly pear that has none of the big bad thorns, just the little evil glochids... That is the one that you most often see in the grocery. They scrape them with a knife and remove the little thorns. Burning them is easier and more fun if you ask me... I saw some in the grocery today that still had big thorns tho.... Most folks cut them into strips and boil them till soft. Then you can cook them further with jalapenos, onions and tomato. I've seen people put them on the barbie...
The best way I've had them is with carne asada. That is, a thin marinated steak, fried on the griddle with the same peppers onions and tomato. Northern Mexico cowboy cooking at its best... :D
this is the internet

theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:12 am

junkyard dawg wrote:The cattle ranchers use a propane torch to burn off the thorns so that their cattle can eat the pads when times get tough. They even refer to those torches as pear burners.
Here in New Mexico the Cholla cactus is the bane of ranchers. If the cattle here can't get water they will eat the cholla to stay alive. The cholla spines fill their mouths and throats with open sores. Many cattle once they have eaten cholla get addicted and can't stop and the infections kill 'em.

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:02 pm

reverting back to some of the old stuff , corn /oats (horse feed) and barley malt got four aaa "ounces" of harts so fare probably another four to go
bin a while since Iv made this but had to catch up with things, going to be a long night

frikz
Novice

Post by frikz » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:01 pm

Strippin' 29 L of UJSM

Aussie Beamophile
Novice

Post by Aussie Beamophile » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:47 pm

well after rootin around with stuck ferments and interstate trips, i finally got to load about forty sumthin litres of 40% low wines into the dalek on the weekend and do a spirit run.

I ended up with around 24L at 75%ish.

with cuts and blends i now have approx 20L of 65% dog ready for flayverin!
I'm a simple man with a heart of gold in a complicated land..................
Jimmy Barnes

I-GOR
Swill Maker

Post by I-GOR » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:10 am

Last weekend, Finished the singlin runs on the molasses / sugar wash. Started strippin the sugar wash. I had used the yeast bed from the molasses wash, added 50 lbs sugar, 2 oz. dap, 1/2 gal. boiled yeast, a few squeezed out lemons, about 20 gal water (I think). Fermented out dry to 11% abv in about 10 days at 70F.
Saved the 2nd bottle in, cut from 70% down to 40% - tasted really sweet and fruity and had a flavor reminiscent of sake. Last sugar wash I did tasted the same way. Rest is goin to spirit run.

mbasketcase13
Novice

Post by mbasketcase13 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:32 pm

had to try out my new 100 qt BOP but didn't have a false bottom yet so i used it as a double boiler made up a 32 lt batch of corn and barley 80-20 cooked let it convert overnight good conversion added yeast and it's working away the only sugar used was to start the yeast (1 cup) i think i'll do this three times then i'll start distillin. Sounds like a plan to me. Now if i don't get to impatient shouldn't be to bad though i've still got about 12 gals cooked corn and sugar wash.20 gals of ujsm to run and 15 Gals of wineos sugar wash looks like i can be real busy if i want to. oh the pain of it all

Rick
remember the 7 p's
prior proper planning prevents piss poor
performance
semper fi

EuroStiller
Swill Maker

Post by EuroStiller » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:49 pm

Now that I'm getting a bit more accustomed to my reflux still, using it more often. Since I basically need neutral for making liqueurs, it has made a big difference over my alembic still. But I love them both. Been using Wineo's recipe for neutral since he posted it. Easiest recipe yet on the net! I've cut back on the amount of yeast some and have been fermenting in double batches. Just hope the that when the ATF comes a knocking they wanna get drunk before they haul me away :lol: Today my fiancé and I just strained and pressed 2- 50 L barrels of our traditional fermented and fortified cherry beverage and put it to age for a few months before final racking and bottling. We both were up very early so I got a double run in on the reflux, which was great! My fiancé set up our alembic on the burner next to the BBQ instead of the fire brick it usually sits on. She distilled a batch of a liqueur or of our own creation, while grilling our lunch, LOL. I'd call it a good day overall!!

EuroStiller- The Doctor

punkin
Master Distiller

Post by punkin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:44 am

whizzed up peaches today, lots of peaches.

I had about 80m or 90 kilos of peaches left in my second fish freezer, we;re going snapper fishing for ten days in a week or two, so needed the room.

I've had the freezer off, and the lid open for 48 hours, still had to chop em out with a tomyhawk :roll:
My hands are frozen and i'm trying to type....i've got one drum with 55l of peach/hotwaterand citric acid with distillers yeast, one with 30 l and another with 30l...

They've all got icicles in em and i don't know how i'm gunna warm em :evil:

The fermenter room is sitting tween 10 and 23 C, there's an electric blanket round the ujsm and malt, but i can't add extra heat to all of em...

Trying to use no sugar, so dont want to add too much hot water, maybe i'll bring buckets full in at a time and microwave em :?:

Worried about bacterial infection ruining it all...

StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:01 am

I would think you'd get a bucket full, put in some water and put something (electric blanket?) around it. Remove peaches when defrosted and put the next set in. reuse the water, so that way you have a little water with a lot of peachy goodness...
Seems like it might be bloody slow, though :lol:

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:46 am

If you are going to make a run you could put some in your coolant water (maybe in a plastic bag?)

blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:43 pm

Yesterday I ran some UJSM that had been in 'storage' for several months because it's been to cold in the shed. I finished up with about three quarts of 65abv and put two 6" sticks of Punkins toasted oak.
I hold great hopes from this run. :)

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.

violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:20 pm

first time doing an all grain mash.
basically what I had kicking around
1kg Malted barley
2kg oats (oatmeal)
1kg Corn
1kg rice

was suprised how it thinned right out with the introduction of the malt (given appropriate time)

tossed it all in a sack to strain off the beer, added a little of the grains in the carboy for good measure.

we'll see how it comes off, hoping for a nice clean whisky to fill up my little barrel with and let it age a little while.

newts
Novice

Post by newts » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:57 pm

I have been travelling on an extended trip around aust.Currentley in the nthn Rivers area of Nsw.
Ihave found that a 10ltr batch .of ujsm. works great for me while travelling,This gives me fast,clean ferments
that allow me to distll them at my leasure.
My wash consists of 2 kg corn to2kg sugar added to 10ltr water.I have been using fast running river water taken from just below any rapids,with an egg cup of bakers yeast it takes off very quick. It is all dry in 3 to4 days.
I dont use any steralisers, just boiling water rinses.great to see how you have progressed in your endeavours in the past few years. Just remember the advise given in the forum is "that which works best ror the author" use it as a guide only
and adapt it to suit your stle and taste more later whenI reach QLD.
Newts