What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kabundokan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Kabundokan »

I've been planning to make high bush cranberry brandy. This should make a good brandy. According to old folks, they say it has a pleasant taste to it. Well, it's my turn to try that. Other than that tried my first rye/corn mash. Rye 60%, corn 20%, malted barley 20%.
Does anyone here tried high bush cranberries?

This hobby is fun.
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

nuntius01 wrote:made this for a friend's bar
A miniature, but fully functional Budweiser brewery!!
Rocodog
Novice

Post by Rocodog »

Hook Rum fermenting away.... and I did not leave enough room on top of my fermenter. My wash got up and wiggled it's way through my airlock. it then took a midnight stroll around the counter top.

Smells great. Bubbling away like a machine gun.
Nobody will ever match your expectations. It’s easy to become disappointed in the people you meet, but really, you should be disappointed in the quality of your own expectations....
smoCha
Novice

Post by smoCha »

Pulled about half the garden today, made 5 jars of pickled beets. After dark ran out a sugar wash for some summertime lemonade.
CONFIDENCE-the feeling you get right before you realize the severity of your situation
smoCha
Novice

Post by smoCha »

Almost forgot the dandy wine update. I set aside 1.5g of the mash from my dandelion experiment and let it clear in the dark for a month. HOLY CRAP I made wine! It's a decent sweet white concoction with some very floral flavors.

It may have to wait till spring next year but I will undoubtedly try this experiment again......
Sunflowers are starting to bloom though......
CONFIDENCE-the feeling you get right before you realize the severity of your situation
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Trying a UJ modification, using a 6th gen wash, I added 1 gallon backset, 3 lbs cracked corn and 3 lbs of malted rye instead of straight corn....let's see what we get, (7 gallon total wash liquid)
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

Made a mash of pineapple, mango and banana to ferment dry while I was on holiday for three weeks, cheap overripe fruits.
Impossible to know the starting SG due to the initial thickness but at a guess would say it fermented to about 10%.
Used SN9 yeast as the brew shop was out of EC1118 and said was similar, seems to be correct.

After getting back and straining it cleared relatively quickly.
Blended some with 70% oaked rum Buccaneer Bob style to 40% but not adding the rum essence.
A tasty light brown fruity rum not bad at all, will make great cocktails and is sippable neat.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

was getting ready to do a rum wash and the wife hit me up for a peach one. so, i settled for a sugar wash today because peachesvarent in season here and i didnt have any grain milled up for a grain mash. so, she'll have to settle for me infusing a sugar wash instead
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Thursday I put 4 gals of 63% on oak of my standard sour mash bourbon (75 corn, 12.5 Bries 2-row, 12.5 Bries rye) that I ran Tuesday. Friday did a strip run of std bourbon, got 10 gal @ 35%. Today I just finished a 55 gal mash of the same, will pitch in the morning when it cools. Then I gotta spend time with SWMBO and cook an anniversary dinner. Next up 4th celebrations, and SWMBO's birthday next week. Busy time, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Life is good (or at least not bad) when you're looking down at the dirt.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Starting a corn malt project.
Been a while since I last sprouted kernels, but just like riding a bike.
Day 5:
image.jpeg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Filled my gin basket with some chamomile, juniper, orange and lemon zest, and a few other goodies. Filled the boiler with 8 gallons of HBB sugar head low wines and made a little gin. After cuts I'm going to proof it to 100 and call it firecracker gin in honor of the 4th.

Happy 4th everyone
OVZ
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Ran 80 gal of uj wash through my 4 plate rig this weekend
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Today I bottled up some single jar aging experiments I've been running. Different woods, level of toast, etc. Would have bottled twice this much today, but I ran out of jars. Now I'm off to the store for more. :-)

In the pic are a muscat brandy, three different AG corn whiskies, a honey bear bourbon, a sugar head on HBB, and a rum I call Bourbrum. Still trying to decide what to save for sharing at this year's West by Northwest gathering. :-)
Attachments
Bottling today
Bottling today
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

where did you get those bottles ? they are nice
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

dieselduo wrote:where did you get those bottles ? they are nice
Yes, these bottles are nice. I picked them up primarily to give to friends as gifts. I picked up a case of these at my local home brew store. These are small 375 ml bottles. They also have the same style, but larger, at the store. Just recently a friend showed me the same thing in a 200 ml mini bottle that I would like to get my hands on. I'm gonna ask my local store if they can get me a case or two of the smaller ones too.

The case it came in says the mfg is Primal Glass. The model of mine are listed as "375 ML Nordic"
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

thanx ! I'll see if I can find some. My local store just has cheesy wine bottles
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

55#crimped oats mashed with 25# rye malt and 5# white wheat malt
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

OtisT wrote: Yes, these bottles are nice. I picked them up primarily to give to friends as gifts. I picked up a case of these at my local home brew store. These are small 375 ml bottles. They also have the same style, but larger, at the store. Just recently a friend showed me the same thing in a 200 ml mini bottle that I would like to get my hands on. I'm gonna ask my local store if they can get me a case or two of the smaller ones too.

The case it came in says the mfg is Primal Glass. The model of mine are listed as "375 ML Nordic"
http://www.specialtybottle.com/glass-bo ... l-ckbs250t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

OVZ
Plc Ryan
Novice

Post by Plc Ryan »

Well it's a rainy day here in NWO so I'm doing a sweet feed all grain. Did a sugar head with it last year and have a little over half a bag left so I'm grinding it up with my amazon special grinder which actually doesn't work too bad with the slight modification to drive it with a drill I made.
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
I'm using 28 lbs sweet feed and 5 lbs distillers malt for conversion. Doing 18 gallons of water. SG might be a little low but I'm hoping for a good cook and conversion plus a small boost from the molasses. We will see should make an interesting drop anyway.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Yesterday and today I toasted and charred some oak and cherry wood. Not too exciting, but it sure made the home smell nice, like the whole house went camping. ;-)
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yesterday I toasted some peach wood and it smelled amazing, today some arseclown started the fire with them. Cant win I just can not turn a trick.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

Finally barreled 10L of Honey Bear Bourbon, and 5L of an all-feints run of the same, this evening. Added to the "rack house" (aka the tool shed) along side two barrels (20L and 10L) of High rye (18%) Carolina Bourbon that have been aging since April. It's been fun noting the changes in the CB over the past 3 months. Looking forward to the same with SCD's HBB. I'll have to say, I've enjoyed going AG!!
Attachments
Barrels1.jpg
Just another pot stiller
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Ingredients for a 10 gallon ferment

4 pounds homemade wheat malt, that's been stewed, dried and crushed
12 pounds zulka sugar from walmart.
A small Pugi's yeast bomb.
Enough water to make 10 gallons total.
And a BIG dose of bakers yeast.

Add the malt to 2 gallons of 150f water
Stir, Insulate and let it cool down for an hour or three.
Now "carefully" heat the 2 gallon mash enough to pasteurize
Dump it in the bucket and add the #12 sugar and water needed to make 10 gallons
Then, figure out how to ferment at 86f without making a volcanic mess :lol:

Distill, 1 run and done with a CM packet column
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Racks.

So I'm a bit removed from my native land in Michigan, where you can find corn year 'round on pret near every dirt road corner. I got a hankerin to malt some corn but I wasn't having much luck finding any corn just driving around.
So I did the logical thing and typed "deer corn" into craigslist and got one fella who would sell me a couple hundred pounds for $12. Drove out there and he bagged it up while I watched and I drove off with two sacks and a smile.

Next day I opened a bag to scoop some out and found it infested with corn weevils!
image.jpeg
Only thing I could think to do was drown them suckers in buckets of water.
Worked great, but now I am in the process of malting all 100 lbs at once.
So I built a bunch of screen racks to hold it all today.
image.jpeg
I guess I better get the drying sled bolted back on top of the van...
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> Only thing I could think to do was drown them suckers in buckets of water.
>Worked great, but now I am in the process of malting all 100 lbs at once.
>So I built a bunch of screen racks to hold it all today.

That's what I'd call "making the best of a bad situation."

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Racks.

So I'm a bit removed from my native land in Michigan, where you can find corn year 'round on pret near every dirt road corner. I got a hankerin to malt some corn but I wasn't having much luck finding any corn just driving around.
So I did the logical thing and typed "deer corn" into craigslist and got one fella who would sell me a couple hundred pounds for $12. Drove out there and he bagged it up while I watched and I drove off with two sacks and a smile.

Next day I opened a bag to scoop some out and found it infested with corn weevils!
image.jpeg
Only thing I could think to do was drown them suckers in buckets of water.
Worked great, but now I am in the process of malting all 100 lbs at once.
So I built a bunch of screen racks to hold it all today.
image.jpeg
I guess I better get the drying sled bolted back on top of the van...
Sure aint gonna be snow malt is it?
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

Ujssm. 3rd generation. 2 months in a 3 l oak barrel. At 130proof. Watered back to 80 proof. Now I understand how it's possible to make stuff better than what you get at the store I want to thank everybody on this forum for all the information that I've been digesting over the last year
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

chickenfeed wrote:Ujssm. 3rd generation. 2 months in a 3 l oak barrel. At 130proof. Watered back to 80 proof. Now I understand how it's possible to make stuff better than what you get at the store I want to thank everybody on this forum for all the information that I've been digesting over the last year
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

chickenfeed wrote:Image
Looks good...but you are not supposed to host photos on a 3rd party host site....especially that Tapa-crappa site. Please read how to post pictures here. There is a thread by Tater on every forum how and why TapaTalk services are to be managed.

Here's a hotlink to it: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 7#p7455625

Thanks.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

More bourbon. 75C 12.5B 12.5R. 1st spirit run on current batch, stripping run on next batch, and putting 13L of barrel strength of last batch on wood. Now got a couple of days before more work.