What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

UrToopid
Novice

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by UrToopid »

Tater wrote:just had 21 gallons honey gave to me will have to figure something.
Wow! What a bargain bro. 21 gallons of honey is a small fortune. Honey is expensive here. How well would it go in a Whiskey mash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Got about 40 gallons of a Bourbon mash bubbling away that I finished up yesterday... Smells wonderful.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

burner.jpg
I recently have begun 10 gallon AG mashes of NCHooch's Carolina Bourbon, and just recently upgraded to a 10 gallon alembic from a 5 gal. But now getting tired of refilling propane tanks so converted a 30k btu burner to NG. The line was already stubbed out of the house so why not use it!! Drilled the two orifices, and changed to quick disconnect NG hose and shutoff valve. No more need for propane!! The gas line should provide close to 50k btu, given distance from the meter, so I might be able to increase to at least 40k with further mods to the orifices and air supply. I have not yet tried it for real under a BOP or boiler to see how different the time to boil is, but the flame burns strong and all blue, with more intensity than it had with propane. At a minimum, no more trips to the propane store.
Just another pot stiller
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Been very busy and I've run her out !

So tonight and emergency ferment of Pikey's "Very Bacardi (ish)"

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=63933

- just 5 gall (imp) as temperature for ferment is against me ! :(

Meanwhile I'm going to have to buy some ! :shock: :(

"
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Back at it for the first time this season (I only do this in the winter).

Making another bourbon mash (Cracked Corn, 6-row, and Rye). I just finished pitching the yeast and am putting together my notes. I was racking my brain, wondering why I only got 1.040 FG. Then it dawned on me; I only put half my barley and rye into the mash tun. For some reason I only used half, thinking I was saving the other half for another mash.
20# cracked corn
5# 6-row
1# rye
(the last two were supposed to be double that quantity)

I swear, I forget something every time I do a batch. Oh well. All good.
Those who stay...
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

Collected my 1st spirit run of Carolina bourbon today. Kept a little under a gallon of hearts, toward filling a 5 gal barrel that awaits. Also set up the next 10 gallon mash (14.4lb cracked corn, 3.6lb rye, 2lb 6-row + alpha and glucoamylase). This mash finished out this morning at a little over 17brix on the refractometer (OG=1.07) and passed the iodine test. It's already bubbling away. Since I already have 2 gals stripped that is waiting in a carboy, after I strip this mash, I should be ready for the next spirit run, since I typically charge the boiler with 4 gallons max. So, next weekend will be busy with two stripping runs and the next spirit run. I can taste the spiciness from the rye already, and one of the 300ml tails cuts had a really nice flavor so I added it to the hearts carboy. I just hope I recognize that same tails cut in the next spirit run to keep the flavors consistent. This move into AG mashing is a real adventure!!
Just another pot stiller
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Keep good notes. This will really help.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

Thanks! Actually, I'm a scientist by profession, so I do have a detailed databook for all aspects (mashing, stripping, spirit runs, tasting notes). Though I have to admit to getting lazy sometimes in the past. After many many generations of UJSSM, I finally stopped taking notes on that. But AG mashing requires good notes in order to replicate my mashing technique.

Making cuts is what I want to learn, and that's is more art than science. That is the part still I hope (need) to master.
Unfortunately, I do not have a very perceptive nose, but I do try to take notes on the character of the cuts, especially as it nears the tails. With UJSSM, I have not really been able to discern huge differences until I got to the cardboard in the tails. But with an AG, there seem to be flavors, especially down in the tails, that are missing from a sugar wash. It's all good fun!!
Just another pot stiller
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

this my molasses vodka

1 vanilla been and 1 stave of toasted and hand charred oak.

this is day 4, I already want to drink it, aging at 80% but i might move it to 70% soon.

also the fermenters almost finished so I'm hoping to get a few more of this stuff aging, seems to be the most requested amoung friends. :lolno: :lolno: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :clap:
Attachments
toasted oak and a vanilla bean
toasted oak and a vanilla bean
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

We made 32 gallons of a 15% Imperial stout?... Used 180 lbs. of grain and 2 mashs. The first mash we collected 30 gallons of 1.070 and used that for the
mash in "water" for the 2nd mash. It was first wort hopped with 2 pounds of columbus hops and was so thick it was a sparging nightmare.
The boil was started as soon as the elements were covered and did a solid 60 min boil once all the wort was collected.
We ended up with 32 gallons of 1.145. For yeast, my buddy propagated it on 3 stir plates all week. He made (and decanted) 6000 litres
plus 4500 liters of a high gravity yeast that was added 2 days later along with another dose of O2.
It's going into a 25 gallon Bourbon barrel for at least 8 months. We made a similar recipe last year, and aged it in a Buckwheat barrel at 11% and it was a PHENOMENAL beer.
We also got a 15 gallon side beer at 1.045 which should be a good drinker.
BTW this is done on our 1 BBL electric brewery, 3, 55 gallon Stainless drums .
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Should read ml instead of L?

6000l of yeast is more than anyone needs in 1000 lifetimes
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Ugh, I was thinking MLs...6, 5 litre starters, so 30 litres
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

That's a huge beer in more than one way. Awesome!
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Tucked away 1.5 gal of ginger brandy for aging split into 3 oak experiments. Toast only, toasted and charred, and one stick of each. Now we wait.

Also started straining off the oak from last years run of apple rum. Slowly getting some aged stock built up.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Put down 40 gallons of ag mash for vodka. 50 lbs of barley/ 30 lbs 2 row malted barley.

Pitched bakers yeast this morning after crashing temp,
Come home at 5 this evening and has 4 inch solid cap of grain. Great quick ferment.
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Ran a spirit run of 3 combined low wines from a mostly rye wash, a rye/popcorn wash, and a pretty standard bourbon wash two nights ago. Last night was sorting through my cuts and blending between them. Still learning about this aspect but I think I did OK this time around. I ended up keeping just under 50% of my sprit run and adding oak cubes too. After more than 24 hours the color from the cubes is excellent. I can't really taste any oak so far though, not that I expected to.

Came out tasting like a decent bourbon without the oak. Definitely smooth. I had planned to make this from 3 runs of rye heavy grain bills but starting with my 2nd batch decided to try making a rye/bourbon hybrid. The corn really comes through strong so it's closer to bourbon. I think I'll try doing this again with more rye and running my pot still stripping runs a little harder.

My next run will be bourbon as I have around 30 gallons of wash ready to strip pretty soon. Then will probably be back onto making something more like rye as I like drinking both.
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

day 3 of my molasses spirit run

warm temps here keep heating up my cooling water, so it doesn't errr cool as long (4hours or so)

just started getting into the hearts now
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

pounsfos wrote:day 3 of my molasses spirit run

warm temps here keep heating up my cooling water, so it doesn't errr cool as long (4hours or so)

just started getting into the hearts now

Well well well. Look who pops out of the woodwork :p
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Did strip #2 of 12 of my first all molasses rum. Need to adjust recipe a bit, yield was less than stellar, but should make a fine drop. One step closer to a sugar free diet.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Put up a terracota tile backsplash in the brewkitchen behind both counter tops. 'linen' colored grout for a nice contrast. You can see my still through the door in the brewroom. The shelves of jars are samples of some of the batches of this and that I made, incl bourbons and whiskeys when they came out of the barrel. Its interesting to taste through different batches side by side and catch differences in recipes and process.
backsplash.jpg
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Jimbo wrote:Put up a terracota tile backsplash in the brewkitchen behind both counter tops. 'linen' colored grout for a nice contrast. You can see my still through the door in the brewroom. The shelves of jars are samples of some of the batches of this and that I made, incl bourbons and whiskeys when they came out of the barrel. Its interesting to taste through different batches side by side and catch differences in recipes and process.
That's a beautiful sight!
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Jimbo wrote:Put up a terracota tile backsplash in the brewkitchen behind both counter tops. 'linen' colored grout for a nice contrast. You can see my still through the door in the brewroom. The shelves of jars are samples of some of the batches of this and that I made, incl bourbons and whiskeys when they came out of the barrel. Its interesting to taste through different batches side by side and catch differences in recipes and process.
backsplash.jpg
Damn Jimbo, that is the ultimate man cave for sure, it just needs a reloading press or two and some components stacked around. Maybe a couple Rifles on a cleaning cradle....if my Wife ever leaves me, that right there is my Living Room. JR
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Got corn and oats heating up in the boiler and on the other burner 7lb cracked corn in 5 gallon water with enzyme in what'll be my first trial of such. Gonna end up as a thin mash @ 21# corn 15gallon water plus sugar to hit 1.065-1.070 :D
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Corn and oats are pretty good,a few days I'll be home and running a whiskey that has neither oats and corn, but all barley wheat and rye malt. Its a first for me so fingers crossed its good.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Jimbo, if I ever get in your neck of the woods I would love to see your lay-out! Beautiful. :thumbup:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks Bushman. You are always welcome!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

I made some scotch. Results have been so so. I bought what I thought to be Simpsons peated malt from Northern Brewers, but got something labeled "British peated malt" instead. I mashed the stuff, lautered it and fermented. It smelled very promising to start, but lost most if not all phenolic flavor after distilling. Disappointed, but it's still a very nice malt whisky. I think I'll stick to bourbon. The ingredients are far less expensive, and the results are fantastic.
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

Mashed another 10 gallon/20# bourbon bill (14.4# TSC cracked corn, 3.6#rye, 2# 6-row). They typically finish out at OG just north of 1.07 (I'll know in the morning). Will set up the fermenters in the morning, pending successful OG and iodine, and they should be bubbling away by tomorrow evening.
Just another pot stiller
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

japsinok wrote:Mashed another 10 gallon/20# bourbon bill (14.4# TSC cracked corn, 3.6#rye, 2# 6-row). They typically finish out at OG just north of 1.07 (I'll know in the morning). Will set up the fermenters in the morning, pending successful OG and iodine, and they should be bubbling away by tomorrow evening.
1.07 is decent if you get that consistently. Do you have your mash process in a post somewhere, or can you tell us?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

thumper123 wrote:I made some scotch. Results have been so so. I bought what I thought to be Simpsons peated malt from Northern Brewers, but got something labeled "British peated malt" instead. I mashed the stuff, lautered it and fermented. It smelled very promising to start, but lost most if not all phenolic flavor after distilling. Disappointed, but it's still a very nice malt whisky. I think I'll stick to bourbon. The ingredients are far less expensive, and the results are fantastic.
Tried a taste of Johnny Walker Double Black this last weekend. Our annual family weekend at Lake Mulwala, my wife books a house, it's their Christmas present...Fantastic.

Anyway you mentioned Phenolic taste. Yes!

Reminds me of (just like) Phenyle. (from the internet; Scott's Phenyle is a heavy duty outdoor cleaner, deodoriser and disinfectant.)
Smells really strong and we used it in the days a man drove up the lane at the back of the houses ('dunny can lane') and took away the full cans from the outdoor privies and replaced them with an empty. We used to time his collections carefully as you could be sitting there with your bare bum hanging out and no can, in full view of the man.
The Phenyle smelled pretty much strong enough to disguise the smell of a can in constant use for a week before collection.
And this is the smell we look for in whisky...
Interesting...
Geoff

Reminds me of the time the local lads stole a privy and left it on the platform of the little local railway station with a goods label attached, addressed, like the cream from the farmers, to the butter factory....Old times... Geoff
The Baker