What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cristof
Novice

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Cristof »

AC49113F-CB0D-4C88-B4A2-2691790CE8DD.jpeg
AC49113F-CB0D-4C88-B4A2-2691790CE8DD.jpeg (27.27 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
Apple schnapps/brandy :D (don't know why the photo rotated)
Fixed by the good mod fairies :D
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Cristof wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:52 am Apple schnapps/brandy :D (don't know why the photo rotated)
20201026_154635.jpg
Love that still!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

Just ran 13 gal of BWSW low wines. I now have about ~50 jars of ~400 ML sitting and airing for a day or two before deciding cuts. First time with new electric boiler, I learned that at 40% power 5500watts my reflux section cannot knock it all back down, (Guess need a bigger reflux section or turn the power down to 20%, Hmmm), but my condenser keeps up wonderfully even at 100% power.

I have 15 gal of peach brandy sitting under airlock waiting until I have a few more runs with the new still before I try to run that through.

I also have a 40 gal batch of Pugirum wash sitting under airlock waiting for time to do a couple stripping runs. Then I can add it to the 2.5 gals stripped I have and do a nice spirit run.

Thank you all for the wonderful recipes, when the rum fermenter is empty going to start 40 gals of Honey Bear Bourbon.

I need to work less so I can play more.
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Finishing up stripping run of Rad's All Bran... Onto the spirit run! :thumbup:
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20201101_074713.jpg
Golden promise and wheat. This will sit with the other all grain lowines until I want to empty and refill my barrel for its second fill that's when I'll spirit run it
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Triplequad
Novice

Post by Triplequad »

Gotta wheat barley mix going
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Fermenting a TedFFV batch.... almost done. And learning how to use my reflux condenser (CM).
-- Rrmuf
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

I'll be pot distilling a sweet rice mash I made about ten days ago. It's down to .990 and ready to go. Seven gallons today, seven tomorrow and double distill Wednesday.
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

About 2 weeks ago I found a bag of grains in my cellar labelled "aromatics".... it was about 1.5 kilo's... thought about it adding it to a sugar wash and seeing what it makes. Started at about 1.060.... Bubbled for a bit and dropped. It's now at 1.000 and smells nice.... Don't know what it'll taste like when finished... looking forward to it, sort of.....lol.....

GG
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Did a stripping run on a bochet brandy I'm working on getting right. Started out ok, but had a bit of a puke pretty early on. Spirit run(s) will take care of that!
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

Made 2 15 gal batches of Pugirum. And ran my stripping run for Peach Brandy. Its a good day.

Love my new fermenters 20 gal each (Perfect for a 15 gal mash) only $15 each, they held beverage clarifier.

And they fit right under my burner I heat hot water with to add to my mashes.
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

My first batch of Odin's Gin was distilled yesterday from ~14l of Wineo Wash low wines. After cuts, it yielded about 8l @42%, and I held back ~1l @80% of the more neutral jars in 'reserve' in case of clouding and I think I am glad I did: When I was diluting with dist. water it was crystal clear @45% and when I diluted a bit further to 42% it seem to cloud over a bit! I understand from the discussion in the Odin Gin thread that it is likely due to botanicals (I hope!) falling out of suspension with the dilution.
Odin's Gin Batch.jpg
I think I will wait it out a bit, then if it remains a bit hazy then I will use the neutrals to see if I can bring it back up to 44-45%

BUT this represents my first attempt made 100% from HD tried and true recipes, and the first attempt sourced entirely from the grocery store! No turbo yeasts at all. :D Thank you all for being such a great resource in my journey!

In other news, I finished a Teddysad FFV fermentation and that looks great too!
-- Rrmuf
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20201107_091236.jpg
6row mash will be ran and sat with other ag lowines
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Started another batch of Ted's FFV! :-)
-- Rrmuf
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20201115_084108.jpg
Golden promise and heavy peat malt
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Running Gen 6 of Odin's rye bread, heating up water for Gen 7!!!

Also have a batch of rice with that special Angel yeast bubbling away in the background... :thumbup:
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

quick and fast.... sugar wash.... will make something with it soon...about 2 1/2 litres....
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Rrmuf wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:08 am Started another batch of Ted's FFV! :-)
You cant go wrong with Ted's FFV
I have read a number of times that you can't use the airlock as an indicator of activity and that is true but this morning, I went to check on my TFFV and there was no activity on it whatsoever. Tested the SG and it was under .90 (was just over 1.00 on Saturday so two days later). Full marks to you Ted, and thanks for the recipe, it works like a dream.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I finished my mission and bunged my barrel.
20201115_152507.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A spirit run of Sugar Shine in the main pot with a spirit run of UJSSM in the preheater. The UJ was well into hearts before it went into the main pot.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Started the first mash for my first chocolate bourbon which is going to fill my first barrel.

Mostly put together the connector for my steam injector. I ran out of solder or I would have finished it and started the cleaning runs. Oh well, maybe one afternoon this week...

Also, wired up the plugs to the scr for the new 5500w heating element and tested it out, works great!

Boiled 8 gallons of water in 25 minutes. I'm very excited to find out how steam stripping changes things!
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Finished a 2nd batch of Ted FFV ready to be stripped, and I will hopefully start a 3rd batch. That should give me enough for a vodka spirit run

....... Love that recipe!
-- Rrmuf
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:59 pm
Rrmuf wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:08 am Started another batch of Ted's FFV! :-)
You cant go wrong with Ted's FFV
I have read a number of times that you can't use the airlock as an indicator of activity and that is true but this morning, I went to check on my TFFV and there was no activity on it whatsoever. Tested the SG and it was under .90 (was just over 1.00 on Saturday so two days later). Full marks to you Ted, and thanks for the recipe, it works like a dream.
+1
-- Rrmuf
B_Stilling
Novice

Post by B_Stilling »

Rrmuf wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:33 am My first batch of Odin's Gin was distilled yesterday from ~14l of Wineo Wash low wines. After cuts, it yielded about 8l @42%, and I held back ~1l @80% of the more neutral jars in 'reserve' in case of clouding and I think I am glad I did: When I was diluting with dist. water it was crystal clear @45% and when I diluted a bit further to 42% it seem to cloud over a bit! I understand from the discussion in the Odin Gin thread that it is likely due to botanicals (I hope!) falling out of suspension with the dilution.

Odin's Gin Batch.jpg

I think I will wait it out a bit, then if it remains a bit hazy then I will use the neutrals to see if I can bring it back up to 44-45%

BUT this represents my first attempt made 100% from HD tried and true recipes, and the first attempt sourced entirely from the grocery store! No turbo yeasts at all. :D Thank you all for being such a great resource in my journey!

Very cool, looks awesome.

Did you not take a small first cut from the last run? I believe it holds a lot of oils from the citrus peel, which makes the product cloudy.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

B_Stilling wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:13 am
Rrmuf wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:33 am My first batch of Odin's Gin was distilled yesterday from ~14l of Wineo Wash low wines. After cuts, it yielded about 8l @42%, and I held back ~1l @80% of the more neutral jars in 'reserve' in case of clouding and I think I am glad I did: When I was diluting with dist. water it was crystal clear @45% and when I diluted a bit further to 42% it seem to cloud over a bit! I understand from the discussion in the Odin Gin thread that it is likely due to botanicals (I hope!) falling out of suspension with the dilution.

Odin's Gin Batch.jpg

Very cool, looks awesome.

Did you not take a small first cut from the last run? I believe it holds a lot of oils from the citrus peel, which makes the product cloudy.
I might misunderstand your meaning by 'taking a small first cut' but I did make a foreshot cut and a bit of a tails cut on the contributing stripping runs, and I did make foreshots cut, small heads cut, and a more significant tails cuts on this spirit run. There was one jar at the 'edge' of tails that might have contributed to the cloudiness. NB. @45% it largely goes away but I can tell I am on the edge here: When I chill the gin, a bit of a haze returns. :crazy: I am going to experiment to reduce/remove the haze using mmethods already covered here. However, it tastes pretty darn good!
-- Rrmuf
B_Stilling
Novice

Post by B_Stilling »

Rrmuf wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:39 am I might misunderstand your meaning by 'taking a small first cut' but I did make a foreshot cut and a bit of a tails cut on the contributing stripping runs, and I did make foreshots cut, small heads cut, and a more significant tails cuts on this spirit run. There was one jar at the 'edge' of tails that might have contributed to the cloudiness. NB. @45% it largely goes away but I can tell I am on the edge here: When I chill the gin, a bit of a haze returns. :crazy: I am going to experiment to reduce/remove the haze using mmethods already covered here. However, it tastes pretty darn good!
Yeah I was wondering wether or not you discarded the first bit, as I believe thats where the cloudiness comes from, not the tails.

Good you got the taste down, mine is going in the pot tonight :mrgreen:
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

B_Stilling wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:23 am
Yeah I was wondering wether or not you discarded the first bit, as I believe thats where the cloudiness comes from, not the tails.

Good luck!!!
-- Rrmuf
B_Stilling
Novice

Post by B_Stilling »

Rrmuf wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:54 am
B_Stilling wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:23 am

Good luck!!!
Thanks! Just pulled about 500mls of OEG at about 74% ready to be dilluted to drinking strength. Now comes the hard part; not touching it for a few weeks... :mrgreen:
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Stripped my first 55g barrel of all grain mash. A corn, oat & wheat mix with a corn & wheat test batch. I think the length of cooking was good but the water cooled off to much while dumping & mixing. HLT for my beer setup has a smallish drain. Wasnt a 100% conversion like I got on my beer setup. I will probably build a steam wand to cook next time.

Ended up with 22-24 gallons of clear and 15 gallons of dirty to run through my ever changing (but slow) set up. Finally got the second 15.5g keg set up & found out the lyne arm angles are off just enough. I ended up cracking the fitting for the down tube and had to paste it up to get through.

Either way, I ended up with a little over 5 gallons that started at 70% and shut down just under 20%. Several things learned over the last two weeks or so but the strip smells & tastes rather promising.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Stripped a batch of TeddysFFV! Yielded ~6L of low-wines: 4L @50ABV and 2L @~20-25%
-- Rrmuf