What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

I got 14 gallons of second gen wheat germ and 50 gallons of 3rd gen molasses going right now. I also have 10 gallons of ready to reflux spirits on hand. Next week is going to be busy.
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

I now have 7th generation UJSM fermenting, 2nd generation Deathwish Wheat Germ fermenting and by monday my wheat that is malting should be done. Hopefully I can dry it so wednesday I can cook the cracked corn. Its bill is 10 lbs malted wheat , 25 lbs cracked corn and 13 gallons of water. For a purist approach. Its also the first run of a new bill. Wish me luck..Pugi
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

Man, I love the purest approach. It just gives me a good feeling to make spirits from grains and no sugar added. call me old fashioned but I know flavor when I see a good grain bill that does not include sugar. Yumm........
Monster Mash
Novice

Post by Monster Mash »

Finally! Doing the spirit run with 18 gallons of low wines on a 60% corn, 16% wheat, 14% barley malt from a 50/50 dextrose infusion mash. I use 3 gallons of feints. Just made the cut to the middle run. Tastes nice and sweet with good flavor. :lol:
PDA1 on a 19 gallon Whirlpool water heater. We bring good things to life.
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

Now I've 30 l sugar wash, 50 l UJSM and 30 l dandelion wine fermenting...

UJSM strippin' run next saturday...
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
1e1hfppe

Post by 1e1hfppe »

I'm kind of a lowbrow at this. I just make sugar washes with turbo and get my 180 proof shine and macerate away.

Right now I've got a liter of gin macerating on my windowsill. 1/8 tsp lemon peel, 1/2 tsp anise seed (crushed), 3tbsp coriander seed (crushed) and 3tbsp dried juniper berries (crushed). I would guesstimate that the alcohol content is about 55%, or 110 proof. I dunno how I'm going to keep my hands off it tonight.

Also have a quart of frozen black cherries soaking in 180 proof firestarter on the windowsill. I give it a week or two til it's ready to go.

Then I still have about a quart of 180 proof stuff left over. Dunno what to do with that, either. Maybe I'll spike my Tang tomorrow morning.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Ive got a 30litre 2nd gen DW.W.G. and about 50litres of UJSM all sitting below one at the moment. I've got a busy couple of days ahead of me.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

I've got 25 kgs of peated malt barley arriving next week so the cooler months ahead could be a little busy. :D
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

I dug a garden bed and planted spuds onions cabbage broccoli lettuce carrots chives basil and parsley.
I dont imagine I'll brew much out of that lot - perhaps I'll dig a bit more next week and plant barley!
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

Hornedrodent,
I see you have moved location. The way the drought is you won't have to worry about leaks in your canoe. :lol:
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

duds2u wrote:Hornedrodent,
I see you have moved location. The way the drought is you won't have to worry about leaks in your canoe. :lol:

Nah - I live on the east coast where all the endangered cod live - The biggest danger here is surrounding cities ripping off our water so they can wash their cars.
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

Sounds like you must be close to petes "travesty" of a dam.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

stripping runs of corn and barley mash. tommorow is a spirit run with probably about 10 gallons of low wines. outta be a nice weekend... :D
copperhead
Swill Maker

Post by copperhead »

iv got my first sugar wash all most ready to run. and i malted 50lb of rye got 50more unmalted just waiting till i can a shaft coupling to put a motor on my mill.going to try a pure rye.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Another wheatgerm here , that combo of ingredients still amazes me. :D
Monster Mash
Novice

Post by Monster Mash »

Well, I ran a stripping run on my first batch of rye whiskey. I felt like a rookie on this one guys. The rye mash got stuck in fermentation. The cap never fell. I don't think that the liquification phase was correct because I never got a soupy mash after the resting period. The mash stayed kind of thick. Low yeild in the stripping run and I'm back to the drawing board on my rye mash today.
PDA1 on a 19 gallon Whirlpool water heater. We bring good things to life.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Honey still fermenting but almost done . Did start a molasses wash monday
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Honey made some very tasty likker and rums being aged.Went through freezer today and found around 35 lbs of mixed fruits.Plums peaches necterines .and blueberries.Gonna mix them with 3 gallons honey and see what it stills out to.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I picked my grapes a few days ago and started a batch of wine.They were thompson seedless,and still had some tartness to them,so they should make some good wine.If I dont like it,I will make it into some brandy this winter.Also have 10 gallons of mexican sugar wash,made with 1118 yeast,and its about done.I added more sugar cause it fermented from 1080sg to 1000sg in 8 days.Ive got some rum thats ready to proof and bottle.
wineo
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

well, I made some mustang grape wine the other day. Mustang grape is a tradition in my family. I'm trying to carry it on, but I generally have not made very good wines... :cry:

It makes good distillate tho... :D

I never throw any away!
TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY
Rumrunner

Post by TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY »

Sunday I stripped 15 gal sweet feed for horses (oats, corn, barley, molasses) and sugar down to 5 gal to be rerun. Hearts of strip run had a very unique and tasty flavor.
Buddy from work brought me 110 lbs sweet cherries :D yesterday that are now in the freezer. Reckon I'll sugar em a bit and get about 30 gal fermentin in a week or 2.
If it was easy everybody would do it.

Please join the Partnership For an Idiot Free World.
drunk2much
Bootlegger

Post by drunk2much »

all this brewing and stripping make me realize how much life gets in the way of brewing :x

hefeweizen , peach cider, trying to find someone that grinds sorghum to make some rum,
when is never enough?
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

Fifth generation ujsm, Birdwatcher sugar wash ,DWWG and just put down a turbo I got for nicks.Youre right Drunk my life seems to get in the way of stillin specialy the work part :( .
Such is life
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

did an apple run some weeks ago, made from apples from last year
(so it has been in the fermenter for 1 year)
it came out good, put half of it on medium charred oak
yesterday, I made beer
and there's 40l of brown sugar fermenting, distill in 1 week.
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Made another batch of mustang grape wine. Found a fella that was giving a bunch away... I picked more and added his to it and now there are 160 lbs of grapes bubbling away.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/mustang.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
drunk2much
Bootlegger

Post by drunk2much »

those mustangs sure are putting on especially with all this rain we got here in texas the clusters are larger than normal and i bet there almost sweet though i might be wrong hadent tasted one yet. I'm gunna pick mine later this week and probably make about 15gal
when is never enough?
showrguy
Swill Maker

Post by showrguy »

i been tryin to run something but my 35 gal. rum wash is still going after 22 days, it got warm in the garage so i loaded it in the backhoe bucket and took it around to the basement (it's heavy).. it's staying about 68-69 deg. and taking forever....guess i'll just wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
last one got too warm and did'nt fully convert... i think.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I racked the mustang grape wine off the skins and seeds and all. I filled up a 15.5 gallon keg, and hope to find the time to run the pomace and left over juice in the still. The wine tastes good already. I also racked the plum wine for the second time. There are two 5.25 gallon kegs of that, and a few other gallons that have a lot of pulp and yeast in it still. Also hope to run that for slivovitz, but the wine is really tasty too...

those 5.25 gallon kegs are great! I took out the valves, added a silicone gasket and used a stainless endcap with a hole drilled in it for the an airlock. Cost $30 dollars for the kegs caps gasket and triclamp and airlock. makes a great secondary fermenter that will last lifetimes...
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

JD, how do you sanatise your keg fermenters?

As to airlocks, I have been using plastic food wrap with a few small holes for a while now on both my barrel fermenter with a big opening, and my keg fermenter with a little opening, and it works fine. (Should add they have all been with sugars washes, don't know how well it would go with other types of washes, especially fruit washes, which would attract them little fruit flies.)
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Matt76
Novice

Post by Matt76 »

just some more of UJSM

I really only took out 1 really good pint out of 2.5gallons of wash. The rest I will run back through again with some left overs from previous/future runs. Come to find out I have gotten pretty picky about the taste and % of alcohol in what I make