has any one used distilers malt

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

homemade12
Novice

has any one used distilers malt

Post by homemade12 »

has any one used distlilers malt? i found this stuff at a new brew shop today did test at 40 min and 50 had full conversion in about 53 min :esurprised: .. used it on a 40% flaked corn 40% flaked wheat mash bill used this malt like any 6 row i done b4. is there any off taste leaving it on grain for ferment? ty for any help :D
homemade12
Novice

Re: has any one used distilers malt

Post by homemade12 »

PS brew shop said it can almost convert ant thing.. rice?
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Everything you are asking is found by reading at the parent site or doing a google search.
New Distillers Lounge. The resources are in place for you to find. Glad your here but feel you should hit up the required reading expected of you. Plenty of info on the site about distillers malt.
homemade12
Novice

Post by homemade12 »

your so niccceeeee
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Well, I 'm not here to be nice. Civil, helpful. Yes. I want to see you become the safest and best distiller you can. Your post tells me you need to do a lot of research and reading to accomplish that.
homemade12
Novice

Post by homemade12 »

lmao cuz i ask about off taste of a malt that converts faster than any 6 row i ever seen?you worry about me being safe. i will let this got to you not reading or just knowing it all
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Neither one. I read your post and it struck me as naïve to distilling. Asking if any one on a distilling site had ever tried distillers malt?
homemade12
Novice

Post by homemade12 »

ty rock this was not a standard 6 row will get name next time i go. i have used domestic 6 row for years
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I am assuming this is what you are talking about when you say distillers malt.
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Distil ... distillers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I have never used it but since it is high in Alpha Amylase I would assume that it would produce a higher amount of un- fermentable sugars as that is what Alpha does. With diastatic power at 250 it would just take less malt per pound of unmalted grain to get conversion. So you would get a great conversion but a lower ABV of alcohol in the finished mash because of the higher amount of un fermentable sugars. I doubt there would be any off flavors but there may be a bigger chance of foaming while distilling. I would try to keep the mashing temps a little lower to try and release only the beta amylase enzymes as they make a more fermentable sugar.
homemade12
Novice

Post by homemade12 »

ty corene that is the malt and you are right on the unfementable sugars after ferment i seen .it started with a 1.053 sg ended with 1.023 so still in 8.3% range guesstamateing. cooking it this weekend so will let you know it taste a lil sweet out of fementer taste and smelles great! thinking of taking 24 oz and bottling it with carbonation tabs just to try it.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

homemade12 wrote:ty corene that is the malt and you are right on the unfementable sugars after ferment i seen .it started with a 1.053 sg ended with 1.023 so still in 8.3% range guesstamateing. cooking it this weekend so will let you know it taste a lil sweet out of fementer taste and smelles great! thinking of taking 24 oz and bottling it with carbonation tabs just to try it.
That is actually only about a 4% ABV and lots of sugar . heat it slow and be careful of the foam. That much sugar will really want to foam a lot. If it does you will get some puking ,just lower the heat and run it slower collect it all and use it as a stripping run then re run it to clear it up.
homemade12
Novice

Post by homemade12 »

your right or i had type o and was way off but your still closer ending was 1.013 and right again it foamed like my mouth at the strip club... ;(