Usung Glucoamylase enzyme and alpha-amylse enzyme

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rocky_Creek
Rumrunner

Usung Glucoamylase enzyme and alpha-amylse enzyme

Post by Rocky_Creek »

Can anyone point me to a method of using these (BA-100 AND GA-100 ) enzymes in conversion. Should using a malting recipe and just mixing in the enzymes in at the point that you would normally use malt work?
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, and them's pretty good odds.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I have tried the amelaze by itself,and the 2 row did better.The ameoglocoside works good,but I think the malt does better.
Brewhaus sells some 3 in 1 enzyme that works good.
wineo
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

I respectfully disagree Wineo. I've used enzymes (Alfa and Gluco) together and have had really good results. The Alfa I add at striking temperature 66.5°C and hold there for a couple hours, the gluco I add later after the temp of the mash has dropped somewhat. I've got conversions every bit as good, maybe even better than malt.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

The 3 in one enzyme has both,I think.I got the best results with it.
The amelaze was used by its self,and with beano.
wineo
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

The gluco denatures at temps of 45° C and is best added with the yeast. I pitch distillers yeast with ag and have had almost 60% conversion of corn which looks like puffed rice the color of oatmeal. Rest of the corn is a dull yellow so some there also. This is for the first run of UJSM and other grains the same result. When doing the latter runs, i add a pack of the 3 in 1 enzyme and get simular results. Take a few more days to complete ferment as the corn or grains are constantly being converted. I swear by it.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

you need to use both together as far as i understand it....

one (i cant remember witch, alpha i think) breaks the long strand starch into smaller chains but still to long for yeast to eat....

then the other (gluco?) enzyme breaks these chains even further into simple sugars that yeast can use, but its not strong enough by itself to work on the long starch chains...

they both work a slightly different temps and one it slightly more unstable at higher temps from memory...
Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

Malt contains alpha-amylase and beta-amylase enzymes. alpha galactosidase(Beano) you fellows are referring to is for cleaving complex sugars such as galactose and malto-dextrin, which is are sugars in beans and cabbage that our intestines don't like.
alpha liquifies starch in the centers and beta breaks the bonds at the ends. The result of alpha is dextrin and the beta breaks the dextrin down to maltose. If you added alpha galactosidase(Beano) to the mix it would cleave the maltose to two glucose which the yeast has an enzyme to do already.
My home brewing days taught me these enzymes very well and that the two operating temps are 67.7C for alpha and 65.6 for beta. Generally if you stay more near 67 you end up with a beer with a heavy, slick mouth feel. That is the dextrin. Staying closer to 65.5 gives you more fermentable sugar.
For corn, a good cooking, with pre-malting and a bit of lactic acid will give a much better, cleaner conversion. There is one detail that is very important but most never tell, and that is that alpha needs calcium to do a good conversion. Kentucky's limestone(calcium carbonate) water is famous for this but no one ever tells why. Getting 65 to 67% conversion is not unheard of using a calcium lactate in the mashing process. Calcium lactate is a common dietary supplement and antacid. I get it for free from the lactic acid and high calcium carbonate water.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

That's interesting about the calcium. The water we use to mash is well water, as luck would have it our well water around here has lots of calcium. Probably part of the reason our mashes are most always a success.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Rocky_Creek
Rumrunner

Post by Rocky_Creek »

Having never done a conversion, I'm wondering about the nature of the goo created in this process. With UJSM I can drain from the bottom through a screen filter. Do you guys let it settle and then syphon or what?
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, and them's pretty good odds.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

letting it settle has always worked well for me. It makes the transfer into the boiler very easy.
BucolicBastard
Novice

Re: Usung Glucoamylase enzyme and alpha-amylse enzyme

Post by BucolicBastard »

So, from what I've gathered, add the Alpha first when the mash is hot to break down some of the sugar. And then add the Gluco at a lower temp to clean up the rest of the sugars?
I've never boiled my grains, only steeped. I typically steep my corn and 6-row in a mash tun at ~155F for an hour or two with the Alpha added to it. Would it be wise to add the Gluco to the mash once it cools and let it set for another hour or so?

What about adding glucose to the ending mash to up the ABV? Does that factor in anything?

Thanks in advance.

~BastArd~
"When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid."
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

BucolicBastard wrote:I typically steep my corn and 6-row in a mash tun at ~155F
You need to cook your corn at higher temps to gelatinize it's starches. Otherwise you won't get much conversion from the corn. I usually get mine up to at least 190f for a few hours.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

BastArd,

Adding to what MCH wrote, I urge you (strongly) to go to the Tried &True recipe forum and find an appropriate recipe and follow it, at least until you know what you're doing. Otherwise, it's a "haphazard" venture...one which will be burdened with toil and trouble.....and more questions.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K