Refractometer Question

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MashMaker
Swill Maker

Refractometer Question

Post by MashMaker »

Will a refractometer acuratly read a finished wash or is it only acurite on a distilled spirit?
thecroweater
retired

Re: Refractometer Question

Post by thecroweater »

depends what its calibrated for most are calibrated to read brix which can in turn can be used via some formula to work out the ABV of spirit or there are dedicated spirit refractometers available :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
FtW
Novice

Post by FtW »

A refractometer is similar to a hydrometer for specific gravity, it reads the sugar content so used on a wash rather than a distilled spirit. It can give a number on a finished wash, but some math has to be done to account for alcohol in the wash.
Advantage of a refractometer is the wash doesn't have to be clear to work, it can have solids in it that could mess with a hydrometer reading.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

A hydrometer has the advantage, that sugar effects the mesuarement in opposite direction as alcohol. So you can measure more exactly and calculate better the remaining sugar and the reached abv of a finished wash.
With a refractometer both push the result in the same direction.

Edit: Yes! I'm Bootlegger now! :clap:
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
MashMaker
Swill Maker

Post by MashMaker »

Thanks for all the info got my question answered
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

A hydrometer is a dumb instrument...it gives a reading for whatever it is calibrated for. There are hydrometers calibrated to read battery acid.

An alcolometer is calibrated to read the percentage of alcohol versus water and assumes you have put it into a water and alcohol only solution. Solids in a finished ferment (yeast, sugar, grain leftover) will queer the reading.

Same with refractometers, they cam be calibrated for dif solutions. Water/sugar, water/salt, water/alcohol...get the right refractometer for the solution you are trying to read. Just remember solids will queer the reading.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Had an interesting observation the other day. Checked the Brix on unmalted rye and malted barley mash after an over night mash.

The clear measured 13 Brix. 2 lb / gal. Was a little bummed. Transferred to fermenter and whipped up real good to aerate. Measured Brix again before pitching .... 15 Brix. More like it.

So the first sample was nice and clear, second one was more like translucent. Did the solids in the sample affect the reading or was the sugar concentration sort of layered down through the settled mash pot?
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Good question...Match it against an SG Hydrometer and let's hear the reading.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I had something similar happen as Kj
Measured the clear from the top of an all grain mash. The refractometer and hydrometer both said 1.042
Several hours latter after the mash was all muddied up by fermentation, the refractometer said 1.045 ?
On a side note: I'm taking a crash course on refractometers.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Kegg_jam wrote:
So the first sample was nice and clear, second one was more like translucent. Did the solids in the sample affect the reading or was the sugar concentration sort of layered down through the settled mash pot?

i think i noticed the same thing. the real clear mash at the top after the first mashing hour or so would read low SG like 1.03ish, after i stirred the same mash and let it clear again the SG would be much higher. going from 1.03 to 1.06 in 20 minutes of clearing after the stir.

my guess is the sugar are heavier so the will "sink" during the first stages of mashing..... so after you stir it up it will give you the more accurate gravity of the mash.

yes , no ?
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

What do you guys think about 0 to 90% brix calibrations? I was hoping to get one I could test both the mash and fermentable like molasses, honey ect
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I haven't used my sg hydrometer since I got my refractometer, so far I've not had any issues with my ferments -- all good with the refract :D

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

thecroweater wrote:What do you guys think about 0 to 90% brix calibrations? I was hoping to get one I could test both the mash and fermentable like molasses, honey ect
Damn I'm not sure what I would do with juice at 90 brix :roll:

OVZ
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

0-90 Brix would have tiny graduations at OG levels. Mine is 0-30. If I want to check molasses, I add water to quadruple the sample volume, then multiply that Brix by four.