Both washes stalled in less than 12 hours

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Both washes stalled in less than 12 hours

Post by varocketry »

jb-texshine - would crushed oyster shells such as this sold at Tractor Supply be acceptable. It's a chicken feed supplement.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... _vc=-10005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
or
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... _vc=-10005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I had ph crash , I think, on my last ferment, too.
-Just need something else to build. -
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

either one will work or just go by your local oyster bar and get some shells for free. I like the whole shells better because you can reuse them
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

I use crushed shells because they are cheap, readily available AND re-useable.
I put them in a coarse mesh bag along with a sealed Nalgene bottle to make the whole works float. When the ferment is finished, I dump the crushed shells into a pan and rinse them well with hot water.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

rad14701 wrote:
midnightmaraude wrote:I'm sure it helped but I pasteurizing it and boiling it up may have made some unfermentables fermentable.
Now, that would be a real trick if it was true... Unfortunately, you didn't make any unfermentables fermentable because, well, they're unfermentables... Meaning that they contain no fermentable sugars or starches that can be converted into fermentable sugars... Hence, unfermentables...
Actually according to HDNB's research ( that I haven't checked) you can in fact invert the sugars of agave syrup. The fracturing of the polysaccharides would in fact make them much easier to ferment the way I see it
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Stonesryan
Novice

Post by Stonesryan »

thecroweater wrote:
rad14701 wrote:
midnightmaraude wrote:I'm sure it helped but I pasteurizing it and boiling it up may have made some unfermentables fermentable.
Now, that would be a real trick if it was true... Unfortunately, you didn't make any unfermentables fermentable because, well, they're unfermentables... Meaning that they contain no fermentable sugars or starches that can be converted into fermentable sugars... Hence, unfermentables...
Actually according to HDNB's research ( that I haven't checked) you can in fact invert the sugars of agave syrup. The fracturing of the polysaccharides would in fact make them much easier to ferment the way I see it

Can you link to HDNB's research (not sure what HDNB is)? Are you saying the sugars can be inverted strictly using heat?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i did some reading on this last year, not really research and posted a comment earlier in this thread just trying to help out.

But if you use HD google search up there^^^ and type in " agave", there is a fair jag of reading and some reasonably good documentation on tequila recipes.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.