Using Trub For New Ferments

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Using Trub For New Ferments

Post by Rain Distillate »

I made 20 Gallons of ground corn maize,cracked rye and malted 2row cracked barley at 45-45-10% ratios. Converted as much starch to sugar as I could (was my first time mashing like this) and added some granulated sugar for good measure. After 3-4 days of fermenting and no airlock movement, I racked it all off the trub into fresh clean buckets.

I had liquid in the trub I couldn't extract and there's more water from where I rinsed the spent grains and trub from the buckets during the racking process. Total liquid and trub is about 8 gallons.

My question is can I just boil off the 8 gallons or so of trub/water I have and add my new corn/yeast/sugar/barley? I'm going to be using corn flakes this time (for added flavor) mainly due to convenience. I'm guessing there's a lot of nutrients and flavor left over in the cracked corn and rye trub but I could be mistaken.

As always any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated,
Rain Distillate
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Using Trub For New Ferments

Post by still_stirrin »

So, you're going to do a sugar wash on the settled trub?

It'll work. But don't expect much from the lees. They'll add a flavor to your sugar, but not much fermentables.

Boiling will kill active yeast and potential bacterial contamination. So, what's left is really proteins, fats, and spent yeast cells. This will provide a nutrient base for a pitch of active yeast culture. The added sugar will provide the food for fermentation. And the residual corn slurry will add some flavor constituents.

In an attempt to "recycle", you can do it. It is probably not the best method for brewing the best product for your still, but it is resourceful for minimizing waste. It somewhat depends on what value you place on what you produce and what you like to drink.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Sounds like dumping it out is the way to go then. I take pride in producing a decent drop so if its not really going to benefit the wash like reusing dunder then theres not really a point. I'll just boil some fresh yeast for some newts and use my new corn flakes, barley and sugar on their own. Maybe next time I'll buy more than 5 LBS of rye and 5LBS of corn.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

If I siphon off the wash from the trub how long will it last. It would be in the ice cold garage. Planning on moving up to a 44 gallon barrel but my still only holds a 10 gallon charge at most.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It would make a good 1st generation UJSSM.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Save the trub by freezing it. Use it to make yeast bombs.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

jb-texshine wrote:Save the trub by freezing it. Use it to make yeast bombs.
Let me rephrase the question...

My new fermenting vessel will hold 3 still charges. Potentially giving me enough for 3 stripping runs and a solid spirit run.

I plan on fermenting in the 44 Gallon fermenting vessel. After fermentation has completed, I'll rack to my buckets and dump the trub out of the 44 gallon barrel. Then I'll clean the 44 Gallon barrel and dump the buckets back in for storage and a final rack, where I'll just siphon off the 44 gallon barrel as needed.

My question is if I cant run all 3 runs in the same day, how long will the wash be good for in the garage before it turns on me? I always rack my washes and let sit for at least 2-3 days to allow any additional yeast and solids to settle. Then I'll siphon off one more time to the boiler for a run. I'm just worried about losing 30 gallons of wash if I can only run off say 9-10 gallons at a time.

15 Gallon boiler CM Reflux Still
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

rain distillate wrote:
jb-texshine wrote:Save the trub by freezing it. Use it to make yeast bombs.
Let me rephrase the question...

My new fermenting vessel will hold 3 still charges. Potentially giving me enough for 3 stripping runs and a solid spirit run.

I plan on fermenting in the 44 Gallon fermenting vessel. After fermentation has completed, I'll rack to my buckets and dump the trub out of the 44 gallon barrel. Then I'll clean the 44 Gallon barrel and dump the buckets back in for storage and a final rack, where I'll just siphon off the 44 gallon barrel as needed.

My question is if I cant run all 3 runs in the same day, how long will the wash be good for in the garage before it turns on me? I always rack my washes and let sit for at least 2-3 days to allow any additional yeast and solids to settle. Then I'll siphon off one more time to the boiler for a run. I'm just worried about losing 30 gallons of wash if I can only run off say 9-10 gallons at a time.

15 Gallon boiler CM Reflux Still
After you rack to let it settle, put a lid on the buckets and seal them up. There will be plenty of CO2 left to let them keep for at least a week or two at least. No need in pouring them back into the 44 gallon, just start a new ferment in there! The yeast that settles out into the buckets can be saved and boiled for yeast bomb later or even washed and reused. At least, that's how I would do it.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

rain distillate wrote:My question is if I cant run all 3 runs in the same day, how long will the wash be good for in the garage before it turns on me? I always rack my washes and let sit for at least 2-3 days to allow any additional yeast and solids to settle. Then I'll siphon off one more time to the boiler for a run. I'm just worried about losing 30 gallons of wash if I can only run off say 9-10 gallons at a time.
If this is any indication, back in December I ran off a wash that had been clearing for almost a year that was still on the trub... It was one of my chicken scratch washes... Not one issue with infection or off tastes... The wash was left under airlock the entire time... You have nothing to worry about if you need to wait a few extra days to run off some leftover wash...
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

^^^this.
Sometimes takes me a week or more to finish running a barrel. I ferment in a hdpe 55 gallon drum with plywood lid. I only clear for a few days to a week
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

rain distillate wrote:I plan on fermenting in the 44 Gallon fermenting vessel. After fermentation has completed, I'll rack to my buckets and dump the trub out of the 44 gallon barrel. Then I'll clean the 44 Gallon barrel and dump the buckets back in for storage and a final rack, where I'll just siphon off the 44 gallon barrel as needed.
Have you got lids for the buckets? Can you use your old fermenter for storage? If you have enough storage, this is how I do it:
Siphon off a still charge and start it distilling, (I don't believe there is any advantage to clearing a flavored wash).
Rack off the rest into containers to be run the same day, or later.
Scoop a third of the trub out of the fermenter to use for bird food, whatever.
Dump the hot backset onto sugar to get some conversion, when cool enough, make up a new ferment on the trub. (The new ferment is often bubbling before the second still charge is finished distilling.)
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

NZChris wrote:
rain distillate wrote:I plan on fermenting in the 44 Gallon fermenting vessel. After fermentation has completed, I'll rack to my buckets and dump the trub out of the 44 gallon barrel. Then I'll clean the 44 Gallon barrel and dump the buckets back in for storage and a final rack, where I'll just siphon off the 44 gallon barrel as needed.
Have you got lids for the buckets? Can you use your old fermenter for storage? If you have enough storage, this is how I do it:
Siphon off a still charge and start it distilling, (I don't believe there is any advantage to clearing a flavored wash).
Rack off the rest into containers to be run the same day, or later.
Scoop a third of the trub out of the fermenter to use for bird food, whatever.
Dump the hot backset onto sugar to get some conversion, when cool enough, make up a new ferment on the trub. (The new ferment is often bubbling before the second still charge is finished distilling.)
Yes I got lids for the buckets.
Yes I can use old fermentation vessels for racked storage.
I'm racking/clearing grains that have been step cooked and hit with enzymes, regardless I rack all my ferments to get rid of as much yeast and solids as I can. (The cold garage does wonders)
I already tossed the backset from the second run of the night tonight so I can't use that for sugar inversion for the trub ferment. I'll just boil some water tomorrow.
So your saying there's plenty of nutrients and flavor left in all that rye and corn trub, so just add some inverted sugar and fresh yeast and cap her up? There's a lot of trub in the two 5 gallon buckets, they are about half full of grains and yeast with about 1/2" of liquid on top that i didn't dare get to with my pump during racking.
My Plan- Split the mixtures into 4 buckets top with inverted sugar, aerate like crazy and then hit with yeast once temp is checked.--Thoughts?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

rain distillate wrote:So your saying there's plenty of nutrients and flavor left in all that rye and corn trub, so just add some inverted sugar and fresh yeast and cap her up?
No.
I was recommending the UJSSM method to make use of the trub.
Dumping the hot backset onto sugar does the inverting for you.
The yeast is still in the fermenter, viable, hungry and ready to go as long as you don't do something stupid and kill it.
Extra corn, rye, or what ever else you fancy, is added for extra flavor and nutrients. Without that addition it will work, but it is better refluxed for neutral, rather than aged for flavor.