Fermenting backset

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Fermenting backset

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Had 5 gallons of backset from a whiskey stripping run that I put aside for a batch that I'll be starting later this week. I decided to check the SG on it. I actually did the stripping run on a wash that wasn't finished fermenting and was just under 1.010 SG. The backset came out to be around 1.025 SG. I decided to throw in some yeast starter and now it's fermenting nicely. I'll mix this with a mash later this week after it cools.

Has anyone else fermented their backset on it's own? Is there any downside to this?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Fermenting backset

Post by der wo »

No downside.
Of course 1.025 will not result in much alcohol, but the taste from fermented backset (+sugar) generally is very clean and mature. Less maltiness and body compared to the original. Perfect for vodka IMO. But currently I make whiskey from 100% infected bourbon backset with sugar.
I don't think I will ever again make a whiskey and then throw the backset away. I will always make two spirits, one original and one sugarhead from backset or draff.

I always use much calcium for the pH when using backset.

Another option for you would be to mix this fermented backset to the low wines of the next batch and then do a spirit run.

Edit: I currently let the backset of with sugar fermented backset get infected and will mix it to low wines in a few days.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Fermenting backset

Post by NZChris »

Not on it's own. I do occasionally put all of the backset from brandy back onto the lees with sugar and water to make it back up to the original volume and SG, then put all of the brandy feints into the wash on stripping day. It finishes with quite good flavor, not as intense as the brandy, but still enough for my purposes.