*edit* First all grain/booner's, honey malt ?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MmmPeace
Novice

*edit* First all grain/booner's, honey malt ?

Post by MmmPeace »

Hey, everybody. So far I have made a sugar wash, a UJSSM (now fermenting my 2nd generation,and a peach brandy that I am running Saturday. I think after my run Saturday I would like to mash in. I am going to be doing Booner's casual all corn with a little added grains... I have the enzymes and have read through the procedure multiple times, I just want to add a little of my own to it. For my grain bill:

20lbs cracked corn ran through my corona
5lbs honey malt, ground
5lbs 2 row pale, ground
12-13 gallon water
Using DADY Distiller's yeast

I will be running this per the booner's method, then adding my grains at or around 145-148 with the 2nd enzymes.

I know people say 2lbs corn per gallon of water, but I figured if I am adding in the honey malt and 2row I should be good..? Do any of you notice anything that may not be right? This is my first attempt at a full grain. I keep reading about the honey malt and just knew I had to add it into my first all grain, it sounds delicious.

*EDIT* So I misread the honey bear bourbon recipe, I thought it said 5lbs honey malt, not .5lbs.. Being the genius that I am I told the LHBS they could put the 5lb honey malt and the 5lb 2-row in the same bag (ground of course) as I was planning on throwing them all in at the same time. I am going to get another 5lb of winter wheat to mix in as well but I am a little worried the 5lbs of honey malt will ruin/overtake my batch. I have 2 options, use about 1lb or 2 of the mix, and the 5lb winter wheat, or just use it all and see what happens.
Anything is possible, just takes a massive influx of time and cash.

Support the HDA - working to make Home Distilling legal.
https://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: *edit* First all grain/booner's, honey malt ?

Post by Shine0n »

If you do add the winter wheat to the mix I'd up the water to 15 gal. That's sill over 2 lbs per gallon. Mill your corn to meal, I had pretty fine cracked corn on first attempt and it's a pita!!! I had other problems too :oops:

I just finished my mashing with cornmeal and what a difference that made :thumbup:
This is my first AG as well and I hope you.the best!

Lookin forward to your results soon
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Get some more two row, and blend.
Make more batches.
MmmPeace
Novice

Post by MmmPeace »

Thanks bilgriss, exactly what I did :thumbup:
Anything is possible, just takes a massive influx of time and cash.

Support the HDA - working to make Home Distilling legal.
https://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow