Had over 25 gallons of wash infected

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Had over 25 gallons of wash infected

Post by speedfreaksteve »

My last couple mashes of wheat bourbon were a big fail after getting some sort of lacto infection. Things were fermenting out great at first but after less than a week of fermenting everything stopped dead in it's tracks. A day later got a cap forming on my fermenters. One smelled bad already, the others seemed to smell normal. I added a small amount of sulfate to all of it and the bacteria stopped dead in it's tracks. Unfortunately the damage is done. I ran 12 gallons of it and it came out a little cloudy and smelling sour. Got very low ABV as well as expected. I've added them to my shelf of jars to be re-run in reflux mode. I even tasted it and it was sour. Like milk that you left in the fridge too long. I'm just taking a break from dumping the rest as I type this.

So what happened? I'm not 100% sure on this being the actual cause but I did move my fermenters into the same area that I grind/store my grain. After reading up on some stuff this seems to be a bad idea. I think I'll have to be a little more careful for my next one.
Last edited by speedfreaksteve on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Had over 25 gallons of wash infected

Post by bitter »

If you make your wort like you do for beer and boil it then cool, You will have less issues with infections.

What steralizer are you using? Starsan will not kill everything. Harsher steralizers might be needed and air locks also.

Also when doing a ferment airrate really well and use a good starter will help decrease the chance of infections.

B
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

I'm just using potassium metabisulphate. I have a shitload around since I make wine too on occasion.

I never use air locks and this is my first time to have one go completely bad. Usually my all grain ferments are going so crazy that it looks almost like it's boiling. I've had minor injections happen before that didn't affect the flavour.

For this one I used a starter that I put together around 12 hours before. Next time I'll make one in advance.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

For a sanitizer try Star-San It's cheap and super easy to use. It's also no rinse. Alot of times I'll mix up 2.5 gallons, sanitize a bunch of stuff and toss it. I also keep a spray bottle of it around,'cause all it really needs is a 30 second contact time to work.
And yes, grain is full of lacto., so if your grinding grain near you fermenters, well you know the outcome. I've also had lacto infections that didn't affect the flavor, but it's best to not get 'em in the first place
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

speedfreaksteve wrote:I'm just using potassium metabisulphate. I have a shitload around since I make wine too on occasion.
Potassium metabisuphate is good to sanitize the wine bottles just prior to filling them, but is a very weak sanitizer otherwise.. I use sodium metabisuphate which is much stronger, for my wine making and liker, never had an issue..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I kebt getting a Brett infection. Wasn't to my taste. The culprit was the plywood I used on my barrel feenter. Switched to plastic drop cloth and alls well In the world.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!