Added backset and my fermentation stopped instantly!

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Added backset and my fermentation stopped instantly!

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Just wanted to share this strange occurrence. I've added backset to a wash many times before without a problem. This time around it was 5th generation backset. Added around 3 gallons to 11 gallons of a wash that had been fermenting for less than 24 hours. It was bubbling, but not like crazy. Anyways, after I added the backset the bubbling stopped immediately. I stirred things up and observed. Nothing. Waiting 8 hours and checked back. Still nothing. I made a quick yeast starter and added it after 4 hours. I got a small amount of bubbling but then it seemed to tail off quickly into almost nothing. I didn't have pH strips with me so I was a little apprehensive to start messing with the pH, but I took a shot at it. All that I had was baking soda so I added 2 tablespoons. I know it contains sodium which isn't ideal. I just won't be reusing the backset from this batch. Within 10 mins I was seeing fermentation happening again and now 18 hours later is fermenting like crazy as most of my AG ferments do.

Just wanted to share this since I've never had this happen when adding backset. Has anyone else experienced something like this?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Added backset and my fermentation stopped instantly!

Post by der wo »

It is normal, that a sudden change of pH cause the yeast stop fermenting for a while.
If the baking soda cured it or simple the time, you will not find out afterwards.

Why do you add the backset during fermentation? Why not before?
Anyway it's time for you to buy some calcium carbonate and use it in every mash as a buffer. And perhaps some calcium hydroxide and pH strips, if you make AG and want to use much backset.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Most of the time I add the backset before adding my yeast starter. This time was a matter of convenience as I had my backset store at another location from a stripping run last week.

I guess that could be the difference since this wasn't my normal process. I didn't mention it, but yes I'm planning to buy pH strips and CC today.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

buy a bag of crushed oyster shells at the feed store . Add a few depending on wash/mash size . They are self regulating around 5.0 .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

speedfreaksteve wrote:Added around 3 gallons to 11 gallons of a wash that had been fermenting for less than 24 hours. It was bubbling, but not like crazy. Anyways, after I added the backset the bubbling stopped immediately.
At the 24 hour mark of a started wash is when the ph will hit its low mark, and by adding addition acid to the wash, the yeast just said "the hell with this environment" and went in hibernation.. you need to get some tools and ingredients to be able to monitor the progress..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Truckinbutch wrote:buy a bag of crushed oyster shells at the feed store . Add a few depending on wash/mash size . They are self regulating around 5.0 .
That's been on my radar to get for a little while. How much would you say per 5 gallons to add?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

speedfreaksteve wrote:How much would you say per 5 gallons to add?
You could start here.. https://www.google.ca/search?rls=en-us& ... ter+shells&*" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

der wo wrote:Why do you add the backset during fermentation? Why not before?
That was my first thought never heard of anyone adding it after fermentation has started. I am lazy thus I use a 5-2 PH stablizer.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

speedfreaksteve wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:buy a bag of crushed oyster shells at the feed store . Add a few depending on wash/mash size . They are self regulating around 5.0 .
That's been on my radar to get for a little while. How much would you say per 5 gallons to add?
I add a pint and a half to a 30 gallon AG and have just a small bit left when it's done .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

StillerBoy wrote:
speedfreaksteve wrote:How much would you say per 5 gallons to add?
You could start here.. https://www.google.ca/search?rls=en-us& ... ter+shells&*" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mars
I split my 10 gal AG mashes into 2 5 gal fermenters and add 1/4 cup oyster shells to each. As TB says, there's only a small amount left when it's finished.
Just another pot stiller
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

+ Truckinbutch
The oyster shells (calcium carbonate) is only a buffer, so the amount is not critical as long as you have enough. It doesn't have an immediate effect on your ph. Half a cup in 5 gals should do the job. A buffer means that the calcium is released as the wash gets more acidic. Calcium is nearly insoluble in water, but it dissolves in acid. Thus, it is a good buffer to regulate your ph as it starts to drop, keeping your yeasties happy.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There are some internet myths around shells so don't believe everything you read without checking. They can push pH over 7 and wreck a good wash if left long enough in a dead ferment.

How much you need depends on your water, if you don't need it don't use it. I recommend whole shell as the ratio of surface area to volume is much lower. I weigh mine before and after and record it for future reference.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

NZChris wrote:There are some internet myths around shells so don't believe everything you read without checking. They can push pH over 7 and wreck a good wash if left long enough in a dead ferment.
Never reached over 4.5 with calcium carbonate. For me it isn't a myth.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg