UJSSM gen 2

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DUDA
Novice

UJSSM gen 2

Post by DUDA »

i followed the recipe of UJSSM and ran it turned out great. i added 7lbs of sugar and some new corn and i think what i did wrong was i used 2 gals of back set in a 4.5 gal wash. i let it go and came back 9 days later and it had what stuff floating on top not covering the top just some here and there and on the walls of my bucket and when siphoned off it seemed really white near the bottom corn looked fine had an odd smell but then again I'm not sure what I'm looking for. is this normal? i ran it and the abv. must have been low cause i didn't really get that much off but i it taste good i took some for me and took off some low wines to throw in to another run. is this normal or did it maybe get infected? i threw it out and did not make a gen 3 i have another bucket almost ready to go its the sam thing, but less back set and 10lbs sugar. i have pictures ill have to upload of the fermenter and the white stuff and ill let you know how the other one turns out.

any help or feed back would be appreciated :D
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: UJSSM gen 2

Post by seamusm53 »

It is an infection but some of these are desirable in that they add complexity to the eventual distillate. Most posters here seem to recommend ignoring it and seeing what comes out of the still instead of wasting it and starting over. Not sure I know when to keep and when to start over but my last mash of corn and barley sat for a month before the cap fell to the bottom and I got around to distilling it. And at that point it had a sour taste to it with a filmy white scum floating atop the mash. Ran it and I aint dead.....yet. Tastes fine. Awaiting oak and time.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Opening night jitters . Yes you went a bit heavy on the backset and probably got a ph crash . The white scum on top sounds like lacto ; which is not a bad thing .
When in doubt , run it and run it all . Then you will know for sure .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Yep, agree with the above statements. The recipes are called the Tried & True for a reason. It doesn't hurt to experiment with different grains and such but sticking with the original recipe until you fully understand the why and then making small adjustments works well for a lot of our members. Glad to see you are having success.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Hi,

Not easy to give advice on this. You seem to have got some spirit off, which you liked 8)

9 days ferment - whether that was long enough, depends on temperature as much as anything. To tell for certain, you need a hydrometer reading, but a taste test can help - was it bitter ? (done), or neutral / sweet - (Not done). DO you have a hydrometer ? There are two types and one is often called an alcoholometer, which is for the finished item. You need both types and just read the instructions.

UJSSM is a "SOur MAsh" and relies on the backset to reduce the PH to work properly. I think it is unlikely that you have added too much backset in a Gen 2.

Have yu got an infection ? I don't know - there's all sorts of "white stuff" around a corn sour mash - we'd need a photo or detailed description at least, but you seem to have got some decent output but you don't say how much or what strength. We need a lot of details to help much.

Just nerves I think - you've tried a little more sugar, 10 lb in a 4.5 gallon (US ?) sounds like quite a lot. It will take longer to ferment right out and your hydrometer will tell you when it's done.

[Edit - just to put things into perspective - I have 5 kg (11 lbs) sugar in a 25 Litre ferment going at the moment. - That's about 6 1/4 of US Gallons I think. It has been going gently for nearly 3 weeks and I'm thinking it may finish in another 2-3 weeks, or it may take longer. If I lived in the tropics it would be quicker. - so 10 lb in 4 1/2 of US gallons needs TIME - Your hydrometer will tell you when.]
DUDA
Novice

Post by DUDA »

yeah i made a mistake and ran it too soon, i have a batch going again i don't have my note book with me but this time the SG is much lower and it been fermenting almost two weeks, i think it will be done soon, but I'm going to take a SG reading this weekend to see where I'm at. thank you. i used 10 pounds of sugar because when i used to run sugar washes i would use 10lbs in 4.5 gallons and use a whole packet of turbo yeast and it would ferment 5 day to about 20%abv. but that stuff was no good. i have some UJSSM aging and i have been drinking some white and it is good, i like it but its no makers mark haha. i looked up their grain bill and I'm going to try that when i have a better understanding of mashing grain. thank you again for the input