will I ever reach 0.990SG ?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jeanto
Novice

will I ever reach 0.990SG ?

Post by jeanto »

So this is my first real sugar wash (big volum).

It has been fermenting for the last 14days. I followed the palatable receip from Mikrobios http://homedistiller.org/detail/Wine_for_distilling.pdf
Hum and I went a bit overboard... added 0.7L of organic sirop...

Water to 25 L (Total volum 30L)
cane sugar 6 Kg
+ 0.7L of organic sirop (why???)
fresh orange juice 0.5 L
EC111 yeast 10 G
Nutrient 10G
citric Acid 25 G
T°20C constant

Should produce 13% alcohol wash.

day 0 - SG 1087
day 2 - ? - 7 bubbles per minutes -
day 14 - SG is 1000 - 7 bubles / min - taste neutral sweet, there is still sugar for sure. Nice wine
day 16 - SG 0.996 - 4 bubles / min -
day 18 - SG 0.994 - 1 bubles every 2 min - taste neutral - acid, definitively alcholic but a pleasant smell. I'm quiet happy actually.

My problem is that the bubbling is now very very slow. I was aiming at 0.990 SG but shall I stop it before?
Why did it take so long to ferment? Not warm enouhgt?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: will I ever reach 0.990SG ?

Post by Pikey »

6kg in 30 L = 1kg in 5 Litres - Same ratio I use for the same yeast. Does the article say you will get to 0.990 ?

You're now in secondary fermentation stage. It may reach .990 eventually, but I wouldn't worry about it. Run it as soon as it's convenient to you, unless you particularly want it to clear before you run it ?

Theoretically the temperature has a bit of an effect on the reading of the gravity reading. You can adjust for that if you like. Temperature does have an effect on the speed of fermentation.

I'd be content to get that ferment profile in 18 days with ec 1118, although you don't say how much yeast you put in or what temperature you are fermenting at. Your "sirop" may have a slight effect on the gravity depending on what unfermentables are in there. It will likely have a small effect on taste of your distillate, depending how you run it and what with.

At the levels you've got to, you may also find that during the day, a little bubbling occurs as the air temperature warms up and if you look at night, you may see reverse bubbling, as the air temperature cools down. :shock:

I don't think there is anything wrong with your wash at all. 8)

[Edit - couple of points from the link - Yes he does say it should get to 0.990. Did you "Invert" the sugar ? They do say that speeds things up. Did you "aerate" the wash at the beginning, to help the yeast multiply ? Your nutrient level may be a bit low, that can slow ferments. Also, the recipe says "Water to 25 Litres" and you say the same, but then say total volume =30 Litres. Generally, "water to 25 Litres" would mean that after all the ingredients are put in, you make the level up to 25 Litres with however much water it takes. The "Water to 25 Litres", generally (but not in that recipe) appears at the end of the ingredients list, which clarifies that a little.

Personally I think your 6kg in 30 Litres is a good ratio and would definitely ferment out quicker. - Please do let us know how the run goes and hoo it tastes ]
jeanto
Novice

Post by jeanto »

So, I got tricked by the "water to 25L" instead I used 25L and added things from there, I understand now :)
That is the reason why I added sirop in a rush... Before fermenting my SG was lower than expected, i did not understand, I had no more sugar... so I pourred in what I could find... organic sirop. It actually gives a nice taste :) but it was an impulsive decision (that's me).

Sugar has been inverted.
I use only 10g of yeast
Fermenter is in a room at 20°C days and night

I indeed wanted to clear the wash before distilling. But I guess letting it sit outside in the shadow (10°C to 15°C) for 3 days will stop fermentation and allow it to settle down.

I will run it in a Bokabob reflux (producing 94% alcohol after the heads).
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

And perhaps the use of so much citric acid and no pH buffer leads in the end to pH problems.
My lowest FG was 0.987. Birdwatchers with added fertilizer and calcium carbonate. Normal sugar, not inverted. Twice the amount of yeast than you took.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
jeanto
Novice

Post by jeanto »

do you use Calcium Carbonate as pH buffer?
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> do you use Calcium Carbonate as pH buffer?

Most folks, myself included, used crushed oyster shells. They're cheap and available at most feed and/or pet stores ... but significantly cheaper at a feed store.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Yes. You can find it food grade fine powdered online. Or simply (and cheaper) use sea shells, egg shells or gardening / agricultural lime.
It will start to solve when the wash turns acidic. Because it is only soluble in an acidic environment, it's a buffer, not a riser. So overdosing is not possible normally. 1Tbsp per 10l wash/mash.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg