Malted Corn Smells like blue cheese...

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Koanmi
Novice

Malted Corn Smells like blue cheese...

Post by Koanmi »

It got moldy while drying....

The pleasant smell of blue cheese....

I know in rice wine actual mold is used in the production so I'm going to try to use this corn....

It smelled even stronger yesterday. I have not checked on it today.

Again does not smell rancid, acutually smells kind of delicious so after its dry (Which should be today) I'm going to turn it to flour and pitch the yeast and see where it goes.

Do you think the mold could help convert the rest of the starch?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Malted Corn Smells like blue cheese...

Post by NZChris »

You wanna be very careful with that. Don't even breath the spores. Not all molds are harmless and it is only very specific molds that convert starch.

Google for grain mycotoxins
Koanmi
Novice

Post by Koanmi »

I appreciate your concern and I did google research, but after a little more in-depth research ,and direct in the field observation... (Wow, this stuff just smells good...)

The mold on the corn looks just like the mold on oranges...that is penicillin. IT is the same shade of blue-green....after that I researched on google penicillin and found that rye bread is allowed to mold and that is used for cheese.

AS here.

- Loaves of rye bread are still left to mold in the caves in which Roquefort is aged. The bread is then ground to a powder, which is then added to fresh curds for cheesemaking.

http://www.earthy.com/Blue-veined-Cheeses--W599.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Also, penicillin is not just blue it is also white I discovered.

Conclusion? This is penicillin growing on these grains. Which is why it smells like blue-cheese....and on further observation...is blueish green.

...I did not even know penicillin grewn on....nevermind....

Its growing on this grain Corn just like it grows on the grain rye.

Not only that but there more.... Even when nearly completely dry I notice the kernals are quite tender......Tender.

"Besides their striking appearance, the blue veins affect the taste of the cheese. The culture breaks down the fats and proteins, thus developing a more aromatic flavor and a smoother texture. "

http://www.earthy.com/Blue-veined-Cheeses--W599.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The molds seem to be breaking down the starch even more ,just like Koji does.

Thus should be good.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Seems very interesting, grind it up and start the mash already :lol:

Let us know how it turn out :thumbup:
papstoker
Novice

Post by papstoker »

I'd be super careful. Here in SA we have a traditional beer called Umqombothi, and it has been established that fungal growths on the grain is the cause of the high incidence of oesophageal cancer. Dont know if it will survive the distillation process though.

"Health Concerns

A recent study found that sorghum and maize, used as ingredients in umqombothi, often are contaminated by mycotoxin-producing moulds. The finished beer is thus often also contaminated with bacteria and fungi (yeasts and moulds).

Grain samples were found to be infected with Aspergillus spp., Penicillium spp., Rhizopus spp. and Mucor spp. Forty-five percent of home-brewed beers showed the mycotoxins zearalenone and/or ochratoxin A.

The Transkei region of South Africa has a very high incidence of oesophageal cancer. Research by the Medical Research Council in South Africa has suggested that a toxin-producing fungus in homegrown maize could be linked to the high incidence of this cancer"
Never trust a man who don't drink
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Fungi on grain, could be an ergot too.
No idea if it carries over but if it did " Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds comes to mind.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

thecroweater wrote:Fungi on grain, could be an ergot too.
No idea if it carries over but if it did " Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds comes to mind.
ooo...bourbon with a kick! Can you balance the PH of that acid with some bicarb?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
jimsgins
Novice

Post by jimsgins »

For those objecting, how is this different to mouldy dunder?

Not that I have a position I'm just curious what difference it would make
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

If it smells like cheece, it's a lactic bacteria. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Perhaps I wouldn't drink an unboiled mash with it.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg