(raw) Eggs have amylase enyme.

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Koanmi
Novice

(raw) Eggs have amylase enyme.

Post by Koanmi »

https://www.cabdirect.org/cabdirect/abs ... 9622705338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The enzyme a-amylase is a natural constituent of egg yolk and is able to hydrolyse starch.

Can be used to "ripen" a green banana. I don't know why someone would want to do that. a blackened bananna has zero starch.

But here is an experiment someone doing just that.

http://lifehacker.com/rapidly-ripen-ban ... 1786343149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I just mashed blackened bananas with semi-black spotted bananas. And after mixed in the blender I has the sweetest banna soup I could ever wish for.

Much sweeter than the bananas in the start. Was going to mix with a little corn for 100% conversion.
Koanmi
Novice

Re: (raw) Eggs have amylase enyme.

Post by Koanmi »

"Another starch-related problem is thinning. A dish containing cocoa and uncooked egg yolks (for example, chocolate mousse) can thin in the refrigerator overnight. An enzyme, alpha-amylase, in the egg yolks, destroys the starch gel formed by starch in the cocoa (which contributes to the thickening of the mousse), just as uncooked egg yolks thin starch custards. Heating after adding the egg yolks to inactivate the alpha-amylase will prevent this thinning."

http://acselementsofchocolate.typepad.c ... cocoa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Koanmi
Novice

Post by Koanmi »

"The amount in the white is considerably less than in the yolk"

To me this is no surprise. As Chicken eat grain. And have to have the enzymes to digest grain. Heck even humans have it in there saliva.

No need to go to a specialty store for "top grade" liquid enzymes.

Dirt cheap raw eggs, a superior source of liquid fresh enzymes.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Hello, Koanmi. I'm cautiously interested.

Your first link doesn't do me any good, I don't want to join anything or "buy internet access." And I don't really need to blacken any bananas or thin a mousse at the moment, but I do mash cereal grains from time to time. So what is the dosage? How many yolks per pound of grain?
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Koanmi
Novice

Post by Koanmi »

skow69 wrote:Hello, Koanmi. I'm cautiously interested.

Your first link doesn't do me any good, I don't want to join anything or "buy internet access." And I don't really need to blacken any bananas or thin a mousse at the moment, but I do mash cereal grains from time to time. So what is the dosage? How many yolks per pound of grain?
No clue. But thinning a mousse and thinning grain wort is about the same concept.

But, at the moment I was planning on using salivia..........so I'm just using egg yolk instead of saliva.

We'll have to do experiments to see the specific gravity....before and after the addition of various amount of egg yolk. I'd guess 3 per pound of grain might do.

I'm going to have to test it by mixing with grain powder varied amounts untill I get a sweet cereal.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Koanmi wrote:But, at the moment I was planning on using salivia..........so I'm just using egg yolk instead of saliva.
Ok, Koanmi, I have to ask, are you in prison?

I'll admit I'm curious as well. I'd like to see results quantifying the yolk idea.
Perhaps I'll redo my saliva experiments to get better numbers for that as well.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Koanmi
Novice

Post by Koanmi »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
Koanmi wrote:But, at the moment I was planning on using salivia..........so I'm just using egg yolk instead of saliva.

I'll admit I'm curious as well. I'd like to see results quantifying the yolk idea.

:clap: Impressive. Short answer: Yes, I am in fact in prison.

Technically, I was allowed to do all my time under home confinement. Since I was a work from home, ebay guy. I got 24/7 ''lock-up". No its not real jail, I have the "privilege" of being at home all the time...

IF you can call it that. Soon my time will done, and I can go to the store and go wherever. Yea its been like hell, but people go through much worst. Like being in actual prison- in a war.
Koanmi
Novice

Post by Koanmi »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:

saliva for the most part should be unnecessary.

I never understood it much anyway. I don't have a village of virgins just sitting around...and even if I did....

We still wouldn't be able to chew up enough grain to get everyone drunk.

https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/sake-use ... f-virgins/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Eggs have all the materials to build every organ in a chicken. So other digestive enzymes may be present. Chickens like other birds are grain eaters.

Its quite possible that egg yolk has the ability to Digest RAW starch.

I would think that using a double-boiler and getting the temperature to around a chicken's body heat for a couple hours while mixed with powdered raw starch might prove interesting. ( a process called 'digestion')

According to my other experiments this worked quite nicely when using salvia on raw brown powder. Turning a bland starchy mess into a semi sweet rice pudding..overnight.

I could barely even taste any starch after about 24 hours.

I tasted my control, which was the brown rice I could not manage to chew up. And lo and behold, an unpalatable starch.

This could prove useful for corn malt. As we know it is low in enzymes.

I saw a video online and chicha makers were chewing malted corn.

I don't think the saliva method is that useful excect under dire circumstances. Like a survival mission. Chewing hard roots and letting them sit in the sun to make them digestible.
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

Have you considered Salmonella, since raw eggs are known to contain them? Of course, after distillation that is no longer an issue, but if there is no high temperature cook of the grain, I would be concerned about introduction of Salmonella into the mash coming from the eggs. And especially after being held for 4 or 5 days at perfect bacteria growth conditions. Thus, before it is distilled, I would be a bit worried about Salmonella poisoning.
Just another pot stiller
Koanmi
Novice

Post by Koanmi »

japsinok wrote:Have you considered Salmonella, since raw eggs are known to contain them? Of course, after distillation that is no longer an issue, but if there is no high temperature cook of the grain, I would be concerned about introduction of Salmonella into the mash coming from the eggs. And especially after being held for 4 or 5 days at perfect bacteria growth conditions. Thus, before it is distilled, I would be a bit worried about Salmonella poisoning.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... otten.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

from the article you linked to...

"But let’s say an infected egg does make it into a consumer’s kitchen. If the egg is kept at or below a temperature of 45 degrees, the salmonella bacteria will have no opportunity to grow. (Most salmonella outbreaks are linked to restaurant settings, where large quantities of eggs are commonly mixed together and kept at unsafe temperatures—practices Patterson calls “egg abuse”—thereby giving bacteria a chance to spread from one egg to another.) If the amount of bacteria in the egg remains relatively small, it’s perfectly conceivable that a spoon-licker like myself would simply miss the infected portion of the egg, which would end up getting killed in the oven or washed down the sink."

The above would be my concern.

Licking cookie dough containing raw eggs that had been refrigerated below 45 degrees is probably of little concern (in fact I do that myself!). But raw eggs incubated in a mash for a week at 75~80 degrees would concern me a lot.
Just another pot stiller
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The optimum temperature for the amylase is well above what salmonella can survive.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

It looks like salmonella is a lot easier to kill than botulism for instance but I ran across this in Wikipedia:

“The bacteria are not destroyed by freezing, but UV light and heat accelerate their destruction. They perish after being heated to 55 °C (131 °F) for 90 min, or to 60 °C (140 °F) for 12 min. To protect against Salmonella infection, heating food for at least 10 minutes to an internal temperature of 75 °C (167 °F) is recommended”.

So any salmonella potentially introduced to the mash by raw egg yoke should be killed by the act of distilling. The cleanup of fermentation bucket, utensils, hands and so fourth should be all the more rigorous though if using eggs as a source of amylase.
------
“Salmonella species can be found in the digestive tracts of humans and animals, especially reptiles. Salmonella on the skin of reptiles or amphibians can be passed to people who handle the animals”.

Since I am pretty much the only one in the household that handles the rather gnarly pet iguana, It looks as if I need to be washing my hands more often ...
Omnia mea mecum porto
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There isn't enough amylase in an egg to get me excited, but if the OP thinks there is he should go ahead and try it and report back.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

He was talking about 3 yolks per pound of grain. How long does it take to separate the yolks from 150 eggs. I'd like to hear about the results, but I'm too lazy to do the trials. Keep us posted, Kaonmi.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"