Wanna try something new please help lol

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fish_06
Novice

Wanna try something new please help lol

Post by Fish_06 »

Hello I'm pretty new to the hobby and I'm loving every second of it but want to try something new. I have done 3 5 gallon corn meal mashes which turned out pretty good but I hear corn meal makes a crappy finished product. I've done 1 brown sugar rum that was pretty damn good I must say. But the other day I picked up 10 pounds of flaked corn and 5 pounds flaked rye and 5 pounds of 6 row? Barley. Anyone out here have any ideas I should try with this? I'm thicked skinned so let it all come out so I can learn this please. Lol!! Oh by the way I'm running a 10 gallon alembic so would rather do 5 or 10 gallons. Thanks in advance.

Kyle
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Wanna try something new please help lol

Post by Swedish Pride »

mash all them grains you got together, bet it will make a nice bourbon, should give you enough beerfor two strips and a extra bit to add to the spirit run
Don't be a dick
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Ditto what Swedish Pride said.
And don't be so quick to diss corn meal. I grind cracked corn to a fine meal to make bourbon. Takes less ferment space and converts well.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

I use corn meal all of the time too. Where did you hear it makes a crappy product?
The flaked corn and rye you have will work fine at normal mashing temperatures, but it's going to get real gooey,
I wouldn't count on sparging it.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

frunobulax wrote:I use corn meal all of the time too. Where did you hear it makes a crappy product?
I only know of one place to buy flaked corn. My guess is whoever had something to gain from selling expensive flaked corn is who bashed all other corn.

Your friendly neighborhood brew store strikes again. Did they tell you that bread yeast was shit compared to the turbo yeast specifically designed for whiskey, too?
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

+1 SCD

Nothing wrong with cornmeal, I use Bob's Redmill organic, non GMO polenta. Costs me about .75 cents a lbs, infact I'm mashing 100 lbs of it right now.

OVZ
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Fish_06 wrote:I picked up 10 pounds of flaked corn and 5 pounds flaked rye and 5 pounds of 6 row? Barley. Anyone out here have any ideas I should try with this?
One option is to
Put the 15 pounds of flacked grain in a bucket with 10 gallons of boiling water.
When the temp drops to 140 - 150f mix in the 5 pounds of malt.
Wrap the bucket with a blanket and wait till it cools to 100f and pitch the yeast.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

shadylane wrote:
Fish_06 wrote:I picked up 10 pounds of flaked corn and 5 pounds flaked rye and 5 pounds of 6 row? Barley. Anyone out here have any ideas I should try with this?
One option is to
Put the 15 pounds of flacked grain in a bucket with 10 gallons of boiling water.
When the temp drops to 140 - 150f mix in the 5 pounds of malt.
Wrap the bucket with a blanket and wait till it cools to 100f and pitch the yeast.
That will make a nice drop.
Fish_06
Novice

Post by Fish_06 »

Hey sorry still learning this page. And yes the brew store sold me the flaked but didn't say anything about corn meal. I've just read some post about corn meal being harsh tasting but I didn't mind it. But at the same I'm no master distiller lol. The grains did turn out quite nice tho have it sitting on oak cubes now. I picked up a gallon of honey today so looking for a good recipe for that now. Thanks for all the help guys. Wish I would have seen this 2 weeks ago lol
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Fish_06 wrote:Hey sorry still learning this page. And yes the brew store sold me the flaked but didn't say anything about corn meal. I've just read some post about corn meal being harsh tasting but I didn't mind it. But at the same I'm no master distiller lol. The grains did turn out quite nice tho have it sitting on oak cubes now. I picked up a gallon of honey today so looking for a good recipe for that now. Thanks for all the help guys. Wish I would have seen this 2 weeks ago lol
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=58770
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

It gets pretty fun distilling. Read 80 more hours and then fire up your rig agian.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Fish_06
Novice

Post by Fish_06 »

Lol its actually running right now with a pretty good drip at the moment. I look for as many answers as I can before I ask a question. But with a site as large as this one, one can start to read and never be heard from again lol I was looking all kinds of stuff up on here last night then realized it was 2 in the morning lol.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Fish_06 wrote:Lol its actually running right now with a pretty good drip at the moment. I look for as many answers as I can before I ask a question. But with a site as large as this one, one can start to read and never be heard from again lol I was looking all kinds of stuff up on here last night then realized it was 2 in the morning lol.
The man has a point . Wish there was some way to condense it all but that is just out of the question .
Only option is to read all them hours to figure it out .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

I've been reading hear around 6 years or so (been a member almost 5) and I'm constantly learning more and more.

Cornmeal makes a fine drop. I start out with whole corn and take it down to a meal with a Corona type mill. Woodshed's Booners Casual Corn recipe has been my go to using this homemade cornmeal.
vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

I recently did a bit of investigation on corn meal and polenta...

Corn meal and polenta has the germ removed, I believe the germ being higher in oil and corn flavour. Using meal or polenta is likely to have less corn flavour and possible less texture or mouthfeel.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

vqstatesman wrote:I recently did a bit of investigation on corn meal and polenta...

Corn meal and polenta has the germ removed, I believe the germ being higher in oil and corn flavour. Using meal or polenta is likely to have less corn flavour and possible less texture or mouthfeel.
AFAIK if the meal or polenta is yellow, it has the germ. If it is white, the germ and the husk is removed.
But I could be wrong.

I like flaked corn a bit more than polenta. But I think it is only the fresh milling what has more flavor. Never tried cracked corn.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Fish_06
Novice

Post by Fish_06 »

That's my next one I think. I'm going to start my honeyshine and while it's doing its thing , I hear it takes a month to complete so in the mean time I'm going to give cracked corn a try. How do yall put the post of someone else in the same post as the one you write up? I see it alot but not sure on how to do it. I read on here almost daily just to see what I can learn or try. Thanks for all the input fellas
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Fish_06 wrote:I read on here almost daily just to see what I can learn or try.
Welcome to The Addiction.

To include someone's post:
Hit the "quote" button.
Then type your post below the quote.

You can edit the quote to delete parts of it, but make sure you keep the end markers.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Fish_06
Novice

Post by Fish_06 »

Quick question for anyone who has done a honeyshine, I started one today and in true natural rookie style I got excited and pitched yeast around 107°f it's bread yeast if that matters any at all and in all my dumbassness noticed right as I poured it in that it was warm so added a couple handfuls of ice to cool it. So how long should I wait to see if it's working or if I committed my first yeast murder. It's been going about 8 hours as of now. And if I killed it can I save it or back to the bee keeper
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It was only three degrees too high. I've never made that mistake myself, but I'm sure it'll be ok. If in doubt, make up a starter by re-hydrating another lot correctly. It only takes 20 to 30 minutes to make up a good rocking starter culture, so I never just chuck dried yeast at a fermenter and hope for the best.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Fish_06 wrote:Quick question for anyone who has done a honeyshine, I started one today and in true natural rookie style I got excited and pitched yeast around 107°f it's bread yeast if that matters any at all and in all my dumbassness noticed right as I poured it in that it was warm so added a couple handfuls of ice to cool it. So how long should I wait to see if it's working or if I committed my first yeast murder. It's been going about 8 hours as of now. And if I killed it can I save it or back to the bee keeper
Fleishman's reccomends rehydrating at 115 degrees . The exothermic reaction of all them little yeasties fucking can raise the temperature of a ferment to that same level .
Bet that tomorrow you will find a ferment going like hell . Keeping it around 80 degrees in the later stages of the ferment will insure a more timely dry ferment .
If you don't have a ferment going tomorrow just pitch some more yeast and call us in the morning .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Fish_06
Novice

Post by Fish_06 »

It's still not bubbling in airlock and has been 26 hours but inside there are little tiny bubbles no foam no funky smell so I think in going to pitch some more. 1 or 2 packs for honey 5 gallon batch one said 1 another said 2
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

If it's fizzing like soda your good, some ferment very hard and fast and some like honey will go nice and smooth and VERY SLOW.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

You may have a bad seal on the lid hence no airlock activities.
If you've already added yeast, probably no Biggie but if you havent, I'd wait!!!
Fish_06
Novice

Post by Fish_06 »

It was just a slow start the SG has dropped a little so I'm sure it's working and I changed the lid and airlock and is putting off some baby bubbles compared to the cherry corn mash next to it thanks for the info fellas
Fish_06
Novice

Post by Fish_06 »

I did my first run of UJSSM and damn it turned out great! Can't wait to try the 3rd or 4th gen to see how much better it gets. Thanks for all the help on dumb questions.

Kyle
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Fish_06 wrote:I did my first run of UJSSM and damn it turned out great! Can't wait to try the 3rd or 4th gen to see how much better it gets. Thanks for all the help on dumb questions.

Kyle
Yur fucked :clap: Glad your plan came together . Save a little of it and compare it to what you make next year . Gonna make you go :wtf: