Dry Ice

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

patrickbvb7
Novice

Dry Ice

Post by patrickbvb7 »

Hello
Fairly new to this great hobby with just a few runs under my belt. One quick question. I now have access to quite a bit of dry ice for free depending on what time of the week it is and i was wondering if it could be used to help clear a wash quickly? I have read that cooling a wash down good can help shorten the time needed to drop out yeast. Would this be a way to speed that up or would it in some way have adverse affects? Mainly thinking about doing a large sugar wash and this would be a great way to cool down a big wash quickly. Would the CO2 coming out interfere with the clearing and just not be worth it? Anyway thanks in advance for any replies and can't wait to get back home from work in two weeks to start my first local molasses rum.
Well shit!, Seemed like a good idea at the time!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Dry Ice

Post by NZChris »

I've never cleared anything for distilling, including rum from molasses. It isn't necessary unless you want really clean neutral, even then, I don't bother.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

It seems like dumping a bunch of dry ice into your wash would agitate it significantly as it "boiled" out. The opposite of clearing.

Usually a sugar wash will clear pretty quick on it's own to the point that it's not problematic. I generally siphon off the wash, and leave all of what's settled behind. I use an internal electric element, so the biggest obstacle is making sure the wash is fermented DRY to avoid scorching. And I agree with Chris, it's not really necessary for the boiler charge to be cleared.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Nope - I can't think of anything to do with it either :(
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Makes great special effects at Halloween....put a bit in a tub of water and watch the fog roll out.

We do use dry ice to cool the haze coming out of our commercial hazers for the theater...it makes the fog thick and dense and it hugs the floor.

In booze....never.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
patrickbvb7
Novice

Post by patrickbvb7 »

Thanks for the replies! Guess i will just take it when i need it when deer season comes to use at camp. :thumbup:
Well shit!, Seemed like a good idea at the time!
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

On a slight tangent, don't use dry ice to keep your cans of soda cold. While driving a 18 wheeler I grabbed a can of Coca Cola, kept cold with dry ice, and it was like a frozen slushie grenade going off in my truck. It went everywhere and sent me into shock for a moment.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

If you are storing grains it works great to keep insects out of your containers .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Truckinbutch wrote:If you are storing grains it works great to keep insects out of your containers .
+1 I store my extra grain in buckets and use dry ice to expel the oxegen.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

If it's in pellet form (and food grade), you can use it to make icecream. The flash freezing makes smaller ice crystals and smoother icecream apparently.

If it's not food grade I wouldn't use it.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!