How old is too old for a ferment?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Coug95man2
Novice

How old is too old for a ferment?

Post by Coug95man2 »

Live in a cold winter environment. My still is in an uninsulated barn so I don't run anything once it gets too cold. 12 Gallon Still and I use a 55 gallon barrel for fermenting. Got 3 runs done last year but couldn't get to the last one. So I have roughly 12 gallon sugar wash that has been sitting since late October... Any thoughts? It's been sealed and I don't smell anything. Haven't opened it yet. A month or 2, I'd just open it and run it. But 7 months is a while and I wanted some input before I open up the potential Pandora's box. Any input or experiences would be great. Thanks!
"Time flies when your having Rum"
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How old is too old for a ferment?

Post by Still Life »

Here's some threads about extended ferments in HD Google Search.
https://www.google.com/search?rls=en-s& ... 6337489181
Generally, unless you've got pure vinegar... run it!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

SO you've made some wine ! 8)

How long does wine last in a bottle ?

Just taste it - If the air hasn't got to it too bad it should be bitter (sour) but NOT taste of vinegar.

Then run it !
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

When in doubt ; RUN IT !
You got to know what not to do to balance what to do . Chances are that it will be just fine . What do you have to lose as opposed to just dumping it ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Run it, I had one that stalled out this winter and it was somthing like 14 weeks before I managed to get it finished. If it doesn't smell bad your prorobly ok especially since it's been cold out.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

If it doesn't smell bad, run it.
ukmoon
Novice

Post by ukmoon »

Run it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SJ_distiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SJ_distiller »

Yesterday I found a 5 gal bucket of UJSSM in my garage that I prepared last fall (around the end of Sept) so it was about 9 months old. I was afraid to open it, but did anyway. There were two largish clots of moldy material floating on top, but otherwise smelled OK. I was afraid to taste it. I agonized a couple hours before deciding to dump it. I bet it would have been fine, but I already ran 2 batches that day and was getting lazy. Plus, those moldy clots would've haunted me, I think.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

So can somebody tell us: if the ferment is affected even slightly by mould, does anything bad carry through to the distillate?

Geoff
The Baker
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Beer guys have a saying that nothing that can grow in beer can hurt you.

With that said, I am not a toxicologist. But I have run 9 month old ujssm, and it was the best sugar head I ever ran. It had a small lactose in 2 of them.

Good advice is never dump it then ask. Ask then dump. 99% of the time you'll wish you still had it.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Plc Ryan
Novice

Post by Plc Ryan »

I had a sugar head I piggybacked some grains with that sat to clear for longer than intended last summer. Probably a good 6 weeks anyway. Both buckets had a lactose infect, I ran both and it is probably one of the smoothest drinks I've made and it was a sugar head. Not quite the flavour of the original all grain but it honestly might be a tad smoother. Although both are very drinkable. Like everyone has said if it ain't vinegar, run it.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks, folks,

Geoff
The Baker
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

The Baker wrote:So can somebody tell us: if the ferment is affected even slightly by mould, does anything bad carry through to the distillate?

Geoff
I think it is often better. I have simply ignored the crap growing and floating on the surface of my mash. It adds interesting smells and judging from some of the 'my infected...' posts on this board, these infection may actually something one should strive for.