Save slightly burnt backset during sour mashing???

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

wishbone77
Novice

Post by wishbone77 »

I am doing a standard bourbon grain mash and planning on following the Ian Smiley's protocol for an intermittent sour mash cycle by reusing the same grains and yeast thru 3 runs by adding back the backset from the boiler to the grains after the stripping run. Problem is, I had slightly burnt the first stripping run after I racked the mash the night before the run and I think let too much sediment fall to the bottom of the boiler (despite doing the standard filtering) forgetting to stir it up before starting :thumbdown: . I caught the burn early but did see a small amount of smoke exit the still before turning off the hot plate, removing the beer/mash fluid, cleaning the bottom of the boiler and removing all of the burnt sediment. I went ahead and did the run but the flavor tastes off, it doesn't have the standard flavor and smell coming off of the still I typically get and there was just the very slightest hint of smoke smell and smoke taste (very subtle, but I believe real) during the entire stripping run.

My question is should I try to recycle this backset that has been damaged back into the ferment bucket, as Smiley describes, with the hope that another ferment cycle will give me a better product with the second and third strip run (and finishing run, quite a lot of potential for dilution of the burnt portion), or should I trash this backset and just add water and maybe citric acid to the grains and essentially restart the process? I think keeping the backset should give me better yield because I can recoup the unfermented sugars and residual alcohol in the backset, but I would hate for the flavor that I have during the first strip run to be the final flavor of the whiskey.

Thanks in advance
My daddy he made whiskey, my granddaddy he did too
We ain't paid no whiskey tax since 1792
You'll just lay there by the juniper while the moon is bright
Watch them just a-filling in the pale moonlight.
- Bob Dylan, "Copper Kettle"
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Save slightly burnt backset during sour mashing???

Post by shadylane »

Smokey flavors are great :thumbup:
But even redistilling doesn't hide Burnt flavors :oops:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Sorry about your loss.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
wishbone77
Novice

Post by wishbone77 »

shadylane wrote:Smokey flavors are great :thumbup:
But even redistilling doesn't hide Burnt flavors :oops:
I was afraid you guys would say that. RIP backset, but better to not destroy strips 2 and 3.
I appreciate the clarity in mindset
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Slightly burnt is kinda like being a little pregnant.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Slightly burnt is kinda like being a little pregnant.
BWAHAHAHA ! You took the words right out of my drink .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
wishbone77
Novice

Post by wishbone77 »

I wanted to post a followup to this topic to provide another experience for people who have a burnt mash in the future. I ended up trashing the backset. I wanted to see if I could salvage this burnt stripping run at all, so I followed with a standard spirit run after letting the damaged low wines sit and air out for 2 weeks. Still smelled terrible. I also added 1 gallon of infected good/new mash as der wo described to help try to improve flavor to the finishing run. I kept my cuts very narrow (more so than normal) saving only between 76-69% ABV out of the still, diluted down to 40% and then added a lot of oak sticks to the jar (about 3x normal). I opened the jar and vigorously shook every 3rd day or so.

For about the first 3 months the odor and taste did not greatly improve, but after this the off taste mellowed out tremendously. The odor improved substantially, but I could still slightly smell a difference with my normal runs. After 5 months, I can say that the product from this slightly burnt mash strip run tasted just slightly off but was easily good enough to blend with spirit from a normal run and did not modify the taste of this blend.

Best thing to learn from this, don't burn your shit.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thanks for the followup .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .