First Grain Attempt Help

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CopperWolf
Novice

First Grain Attempt Help

Post by CopperWolf »

After several successful runs of UJSM I decided to try a recipe of my own. I used corn, 6 row, and very little sugar just enough to get it to a SG of 1.055. It started fermenting good then after a week stopped. I checked it because it had a very sweet smell. My gravity reading was 1.020. I checked temp, it was fine, I checked oh it was around 3.4 to 3.5. It acts as if the yeast have died. Any ideas or help to get this to finish out would be greatly appreciated. I can add more info if needed but it was pretty simple. Cracked corn, heated to get conversion added 6 row malt then added 3 lbs of sugar just to get the SG up to 1.050.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Re: First Grain Attempt Help

Post by ShineRunner »

At what temperature did you mash the 6 row? How long did you let it rest? What temp is it at now? What yeast?

Ph is a little low, but I wouldn't expect that to completely stall your fermentation.

What have you done to try to fix it?
CopperWolf
Novice

Post by CopperWolf »

Temp was at 170 when mashing Kept it there for roughly 45 min to 1 hr til I got a thick molasses consistency , Let it rest overnight before pitching yeast. I pitched the only yeast I had which was ec118.

I have taken some out in a jar I have trying to get it to restart. I have added sugar to see if that helped, Nothing has happened. I have tried aerating the bit I had gotten in the jar. Still nothing, Also added some more yeast and nothing still. so im at a loss here
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

mashed too hot and killed the enzyme activity all you fermented was the sugar.

the high FG is from the unfermentables.

run it anyway you won't get a big take but the flavour should be there. watch for pukes, it will foam. go slow when it gets hot.

next time boil and release the starch then cool and add malt at 150*, hold for 90 minutes+ then cool to under 100* and pitch yeast. if the gravity isn't high enough use more grain per gallon or (gasp) add (after you are done the mash.) sugar if you have to, to hit 1.05-1.07
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Ditto. HDNB hit it on the head. You mashed way too high and are left with a bunch of unfermentable dextrines and such. Good for beer, bad for whiskey. Mash lower, like 145-147 for 1.5-2 hours and your FG will end closer to 1.000.

Run what you got and learn from your mistakes. Not bad for your first try though!

SR
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Yep , seed it to happen in my own still house . This is a dance you learn as you go . More reading never hurt none .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

You can always add .5 lb of sugar to total volume of water and kick start it back up and shouldn't over stress the yeast and that way you could get some more alcohol from your efforts.

Invert the sugar and add back to the fermenter at around 85°f or so and give a gentle stir to resuspend the yeast, cover and let go for a week.
Should be able to retain a lot of your flavor but may have that good ole sugar bite.

Shine0n