Small Batch All Grain Questions

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Small Batch All Grain Questions

Post by sltm1 »

1. I only make small pot still batches (6.5 gallons) and I would like to know if a 10 gallon cooler will be big enough for a single run, figuring I'll add what ever water doesn't fit after converting the starch and removing the grains
2. Having never used a sparging bag, is it worth the trouble or would a false bottom be more economical as well as more efficient?
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Small Batch All Grain Questions

Post by skow69 »

1. What?

2. I like the BIAB.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Shi@t!!!...I forgot to add in part of the equation, I can't figure the size of the container I'll need to hold the mash till I drain it off, you know, volume including the grain. I was thinking that since I'll use 6-7 gallons of H2O in the grain so that I'll have some to start a sugar enhanced piggyback experiment next....Hey I'm gettin old, forgot to put in that part {CRS}...

BIAB = ?
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

brew in a bag. cook grain in bag, lift and drain.

are you thinking a nylon mesh strainer bag for dewatering grain? MCH can prolly help out with some tips for good bag handling skills. :lol: :lol:

and 9 or so gallons of mash dewatered will net you 6.5 gallons of strained goods.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

sltm1 wrote:1. I only make small pot still batches (6.5 gallons) and I would like to know if a 10 gallon cooler will be big enough for a single run, figuring I'll add what ever water doesn't fit after converting the starch and removing the grains
2. Having never used a sparging bag, is it worth the trouble or would a false bottom be more economical as well as more efficient?
A 10G cooler will work fine for a fermentor. I used one for years.

I went down to the Army/Navy surplus store and bought a Mosquito net. I made the bags to fin inside of the container out of the netting, which is a very strong nylon netting (cost was $16). I boiled the netting and rinsed it in fabric softener a couple of times, and clear water after the last boil to remove any chemicals that might have been sprayed on the fabric.

Then I rigged a pulley on the ceiling to lift the wet grains out of the fermenter.

Then I'd cook the grains, and pour it all into the fermented (lined with the bag) and ferment away. Once it stopped working, I'd lift it and let it drip dry overnight, and feed the grains to the pigs. I was also filling my thumper with the fermented grain (sans the nylon sack), using the steamed liquor from the still to draw off more of the alcohol trapped in the grains. The end result is some of the finest white liquor I ever made.

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
midlife-u-turn
Bootlegger

Post by midlife-u-turn »

I use the BIAB system and I believe the size I use is a 70 qt (17.5 gal) Coleman extreme. My target batch size is twice yours at 13 gal, so your 10 gal should work fine. I think I've had as much as 35 lbs of grain plus the water in mine so I would assume a 10 gal should do a 15 lb grain bill just fine.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I often brew a 6 gallon batch. Takes about 8 gallons of water and 16 pounds of grain. I use a 10 gallon cooler. Add about 5 gallons of water to the grain, and after draining, rinse with the other 3 gallons. You'll get a little different outcome with each different recipe, so your mileage may vary.
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

Sitm1,
Look on craigslist. I've got a local guy I bought used food grade 45 gallon plastic drums with lids for $15 each. He also has 15 gallon, 53 gallon, and 200 plus gallon totes for 80 bucks. Greg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

get yourself a couple 15 gal fermenters, the 53 would be better because you can do 15, 30, 45 gal mashes but the 15 gal you can do your 6.5

I have 2-15
2-30
3-55

If you have available space 2 15 gal sold serve you well as you can get a couple strip runs and enough mash left for the low wines/mash spirit run assuming you're running a 5 gal still