New way to screw up a mash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HDNB
Site Mod

New way to screw up a mash

Post by HDNB »

here is a new one for me.

Doing last high Rye mash the steam jacketed mash tun screwed up (condensate trap plugged up) and heat transfer was slowed. It took 12 hours to get to 95* C.
So, figuring everything would be pasteurized and such, i threw in HTL and covered it for overnight. Go out in the morning and there is large bubbles coming up from the grain bed. :wtf:
Made a huge yeast starter with the wort.
So I stir the hell out it, temp adust and throw in GL and malt.
90 minutes later, it's belching big bubbles again, not fast, but big.
I add Sebflo give it another half hour, PH5.9 and OG 1.054 :wtf: i cooked/stirred and went 350g/L...should be like .065 or .07... :wtf:
Then pitch the starter.
Check it the next morning, big cap of grain floating on a CO2 fizz bath...YAY! it took off and is going like hell.
Leave it for 4 days, the grain cap falls, and it clears nicely so i transferred to the still.
FG 1.072 :wtf:
Thats the first time i've had the gravity go up!

She tastes great, it's sour and ph is 3.8. i took out a sample and gave it some freash yeast...zero activity, so i added a tablespoon of sugar and they fired up and gobbled it down in minutes.

the rye got a protein rest on the way up and the SEBFlo on the way down. I'm guessing i got some kind of bacteria that hid in the cooler areas of the grain bed and never got to, or are resistant to, temperatures of 95*C.
The mash is a bit slimy but not awful.
guess i'll run it and see if there is any booze in there.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: New way to screw up a mash

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

HDNB wrote:here is a new one for me.
OG 1.054
FG 1.072 :wtf:
Thats the first time i've had the gravity go up!

The mash is a bit slimy but not awful.
How did you test the FG? Refractometer or hydrometer?

If hydrometer, is it lying to you because of the "slimy" wash?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Hydrometer.

And yeah, the slime has to be raising the gravity. done tons of rye and it's slimy wort, but the gravity has always finished 1.001/1.002.
this has to be a bacterial slime. I'm interested to see if there is booze in it, or if it has become something else. being dry and sour i'm assuming it's got likker in it, but i can't taste or smell anything other than what a normal finished wort smells like.

now i drink for evil.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Sounds like a run is in order :thumbup:
I have a HBB mash that's been sitting for 3 months and the bottom where the what's left of the grains are is real slimy, I'm thinking of adding it to the thumper to steam strip it but I'm kinda scared of it. lol
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Shine0n wrote:Sounds like a run is in order :thumbup:
I have a HBB mash that's been sitting for 3 months and the bottom where the what's left of the grains are is real slimy, I'm thinking of adding it to the thumper to steam strip it but I'm kinda scared of it. lol
I've never been one to let fear and common sense stand in my way. I say run it! Combining your other thread, lacto floats so the slime in the bottom of this is likely just protiens and fats and yeast left overs. It would be interesting to see what they give over.

now i drink for evil.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Watching with interest. You might have invented a whole new product.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

If it is going ape shit with a sugar add then you better add some sugar and let it roll before wasting a run. However if you try a small one you will know right quick if it has any or not and then you have some backset to add to the rest of the mash.
Watching.
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

shameless bump, it's a busy weekend being Canada Day and 150 years old and all. may not have time until monday and since i stirred a bit of interest, i'll report back soon!

now i drink for evil.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

so turns out i got about 3%, less than half of what should have been there so it stalled and the rye slime must have gelled up nicely along with whatever bacteria screwed it.

so today i made the same recipe, the mash tun worked perfectly and everything was going according to plan...when i dropped the thermometer into it at 160*...think i'll wait to stick my arm in there and see if it lived...after i forgot i dropped it in and stirred the effing mash with a paddle :problem: otherwise...i found yet another way to screw the pooch. fak.

now i drink for evil.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Har! Yeah, they don't float worth a shit, do they? I think that might violate the warranty, too. Only when you stir it, though.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Well, by some miracle the thermometer survived and the gravity came in at 1.07, my best on this recipe so far. Apparently it really helps when the heat works properly.

310g/L grain

maybe i'll be able to back the grain down a bit now that i'm getting the hang of larger mashes.

now i drink for evil.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Then there was the time I couldn't find the dough thermometer and the dough (600 pounds of flour plus the necessary water) had been raised on the hoist ready to be tipped into the hopper.
We found it, no damage.
If it had been crushed there would have been a major problem, broken glass and mercury!

Geoff
The Baker
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

the t-meter i use daily is a non toxic stick, but i would still throw out the mash if it broke. My lab thermo is mercury and it only comes out on special occasions, in controlled environment...and using both hands!

(not saying i'm clumsy/forgetful or stupid or anything... :oops: )

now i drink for evil.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

so... in a fit of insanity...(really it was a curious experiment to narrow the fault down)

i kept some of the ferment that failed up there ^^^ where the SG went up, and i added a fresh, properly cooked wort that was 1.07+ i added a huge starter to it and got a good ferment going...and then added it to the saved portion of failed ferment. maybe 20% old failed +80% new fresh working ferment.

whatever bacteria is in there stopped the yeast dead, wort went sour and slimey. 1.062. funny it smells and tastes great.

as a control i made another exact recipe, cook times/temps/enzymes and malt and put it in a clean vessel. it went from 1.07+ to 1.000

moral of the story? Don't do that again.

merde.

now i drink for evil.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Reckon it was goose eye wasn't it, said never be scared to kick a barrel over, some shit can't be saved. Had molasses like it once and each effort got worse than the last. In that case I think it might have been some weird preservative, nothing I tried make a lick of difference and the stillage completely sterilized my 4 year old dunderpit (like hospital grade sterilized) :evil:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin