Noob question about fermenting with low temperatures

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

luis
Novice

Noob question about fermenting with low temperatures

Post by luis »

One question. I'm making a bourbon, but it's winter here. I have used yeast US05 but the temperature has ranged from 45 to 70F. A few days ago minimum temp was 32F. Any suggestions for using another yeast or keeping my bucket warm? I was wondering if it affects only the lenght or also the flavor. Tks
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Noob question about fermenting with low temperatures

Post by Still Life »

You can get a fermentation belt heater and wrap the bucket with blankets.
belt.jpg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I cannot say enough good things about this set up.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 3#p7466293

A little more preparation, but it has multiple uses. Full length heating :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I use an aquarium temp controller I bought off eBay (very cheap). Below is a thread on it. I since switched from a heater to a drop light as it uses less energy.
aquarium controller

Moved my fermenting from a down stairs small bathroom to a portable cart I insulated. I now do all my fermenting in my outbuilding close to my still in a building that is not heated. Works great.
fermenting cart
luis
Novice

Post by luis »

:thumbup: Nice. U guys are very creative. I'll try something similar
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

luis wrote:I was wondering if it affects only the lenght or also the flavor.
A low temperature ferment will change the flavor because it effects things like ester production and stuff like that. I ferment cold and never bother with trying to heat anything or regulate temps. I use yeast suited for colder temps and figure they will be done when they are done, if that means next spring so be it but I personally think I get a better final product with long cold ferments.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

:lol:

Bourbon and brandy makers are so very removed, lol.

We drive 'em hard and fast for the same very reasons :ebiggrin: .
luis
Novice

Post by luis »

Bushman wrote:I use an aquarium temp controller I bought off eBay (very cheap). Below is a thread on it. I since switched from a heater to a drop light as it uses less energy.
aquarium controller

Moved my fermenting from a down stairs small bathroom to a portable cart I insulated. I now do all my fermenting in my outbuilding close to my still in a building that is not heated. Works great.
fermenting cart
Once I installed my bucket inside the wine cellar. My wife called me crazy because I removed the wine bottles to make way for the bucket. Maybe it was not that crazy.
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

luis, I went to used appliance outlet and picked up a broken chest freezer for free and am usin it as a fermentation chamber in conjuction with a temp contoller as well as a small ceramic heater . Works great.

inkbird

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FKG4CC/re ... 6308171578" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

600 watt ceramic heater
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/275212227208876199/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
luis
Novice

Post by luis »

cranky wrote:
luis wrote:I was wondering if it affects only the lenght or also the flavor.
A low temperature ferment will change the flavor because it effects things like ester production and stuff like that. I ferment cold and never bother with trying to heat anything or regulate temps. I use yeast suited for colder temps and figure they will be done when they are done, if that means next spring so be it but I personally think I get a better final product with long cold ferments.
Tks. What yeast do you recommend?
luis
Novice

Post by luis »

Blarney Stoned wrote:luis, I went to used appliance outlet and picked up a broken chest freezer for free and am usin it as a fermentation chamber in conjuction with a temp contoller as well as a small ceramic heater . Works great.

inkbird

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FKG4CC/re ... 6308171578" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

600 watt ceramic heater
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/275212227208876199/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Some ideas come to my mind. My wife has a thermal blanket with no utility ... Maybe. Who knows .. But this week has already warmed, perhaps it is not necessary, only if the weather cools again.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote::lol:

Bourbon and brandy makers are so very removed, lol.

We drive 'em hard and fast for the same very reasons :ebiggrin: .
Yes and no, while it's true I don't really care too much for making whiskey, the way I see it it all depends on what you are trying to put in and take out. Do you want the flavors made by a stressed yeast? Do you want the the added esters or a certain range of by-products for a certain flavor profile? If so that's fine drive em hard but if you are just going to wind up cutting those flavors out when you run and blend why do something that will encourage them in the first place? The big boys do it because they need to make a whole lot of money but I really don't see the point in a lot of practices often done by the whiskey makers on this site, particularly the emphasis on speed. The fact is people could take a lesson from some of the beer makers, often they change yeasts based on the temperature. US-05 is an ale yeast so it likes temperatures from 53-77F which is probably fine for the OP but lager yeasts tend to be used at cooler temperatures. Will a lager yeast give the OP what he wants? I have no idea but neither does anybody else until he tries it. Will a heating belt be better for him? Maybe but there are other options is all I'm saying.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Well, for the record, my hard and fast is a 2 week ferment. :D Not the 72 hour ferment that the big boys do. Compared to a fruit ferment, though, it is quick. Also, I use bakers at 90.

And I am a beer brewer. I actually think I make more beer than whiskey, as I am brewing year round to fill a 3 keg system.

I have used different yeast, and temps. I don't think the conditions I have are stressing the yeast, but I do believe they produce more esters than they would at say, 75 (probably the low end of the bakers spectrum). I used Ec 1118 once for my bourbon because of low temperatures. It was alright, but definitely more crisp and clean then compared to bakers. Not bad, and it went into a 5 gallon barrel with 2 other runs of bakers, so it was balanced, anyways.

I do believe that if you have a crappy ferment, but make good cuts, that allot of those nasties will be tossed with the heads and late tails. But I also believe that there are flavors or esters that come with the hearts, too. Otherwise, the yeast variety wouldn't mean anything for our application.

I am just entertained with the different worlds and methods. :thumbup: I hope to try some real brandy one day, as I have never had any. I sure as hell don't think the crap you get at the store is any indication, that shit sucks :lol:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've only used ec1118 and dady for my fruit ferments, all were done in my kitchen with the air at 68f, they took a while to ferment and clear but the end result was fukn awesome. If I had used a proper wine yeast and at the correct temperature I could only imagine what they would've ended up like but they're great to me!

All of my rums and bourbon are usually fast and furious with bakers yeast but as the weather turns this fall I'll try some other yeasts due to I'll be fermenting in the uncontrolled environment of my barn. Looks as if I'll be building a fermentation box to house 3 55 gal drums.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Shine0n wrote:
...........All of my rums and bourbon are usually fast and furious with bakers yeast but as the weather turns this fall I'll try some other yeasts due to I'll be fermenting in the uncontrolled environment of my barn. Looks as if I'll be building a fermentation box to house 3 55 gal drums.
That's getting serious ! :lol: I'm thinking about a similar venture - Any idea how you're going to heat it ?
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

cranky wrote: I hope to try some real brandy one day, as I have never had any. I sure as hell don't think the crap you get at the store is any indication, that shit sucks :lol:
When this barrel of apple matures, if it's good I'll see if I can send you some :D

Maybe it's because with brandy a lot of flavor tends to come across in the heads so with it tends to be more critical to ferment certain ways but I've often advised people to match the yeast to the temperature and the temperature to the yeast. If you have cold temps use cold temp yeast not everybody has the ability to control the temp of their ferment. I might also add that I believe in matching the yeast to the ferment. I personally don't like bakers yeast for anything and think wine yeast belongs in fruit but not grain, I think a beer yeast gives better results for grains. As much as I recommend 1118 for first time fruit ferments I don't feel it's the right yeast for whiskey.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Pikey, I'll build an insulated box to house all 3, probably 2"foam insulation under a plywood frame and partitioned off for all 3 with a louvered vent above each to keep from getting too hot.
I also plan to use appropriate yeast for ambient temps.

After I build it I'll pm you to share as to not hijack this thread any longer.

Sorry op,
Shine0n
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

cranky wrote:
cranky wrote: I hope to try some real brandy one day, as I have never had any. I sure as hell don't think the crap you get at the store is any indication, that shit sucks :lol:
When this barrel of apple matures, if it's good I'll see if I can send you some :D
:thumbup:

Maybe Santa has some bourbon or rum for you as well :ebiggrin:

I plan on experimenting this fall with cider for brandy. It will only be enough for my 5 gallon still, and will be from farm pressed cider. I'm not quite to the cut, grind, and press my own stage yet. But when the weather breaks I'll be loading one of my kegs with a 12% apple pie and carbing it up for the tap :thumbup: Not the same, I know, and maybe blasphemy to you, lol. But I'm going to try it. Next year if this goes well, I'll do a real cider for tap :thumbup:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:maybe blasphemy to you, lol.
Not blasphemy at all, sounds like a pretty good idea but the conversation is starting to drift and I don't want to piss Tater off...again :roll: so we should try to stay on topic. :(