Moths and ants in my cracked corn.

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Moths and ants in my cracked corn.

Post by PipeWelder316 »

I have taken a break from running for the past 9 or 10 months as I have been upgrading from propane to electric, as well as a break due to health problems. I have my controller built and all the necessary modifications to run electric. I tested the system the other day and have determined that she is ready! :thumbup: I then mixed up 10 lbs of sugar with hot water and started to measure out some cracked corn. At this point I discovered it had been infected with moths and ants and was kinda nasty for about 2 or 3 inch's in layer. It will be next week before I can get a new bag of cracked corn So I just scooped it out and made my ujsm anyways. The next day it is bubbling away and doing its thing but I just can't stop wondering what kind of foul flavor this might bring. I've thought about the worst case scenario I could just use this as all feints and add it to the next fresh corn run and maybe everything would be alright. What do ya'll think about this?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Moths and ants in my cracked corn.

Post by still_stirrin »

Wait and see....

I think your answer is forthcoming....soon.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

In other words....

what you've done...can't be undone.

You'll have to "wait and see"....
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

And nobody can "teach" you what you're about to "learn"....
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Hey Pipewelder.
Hit the hardware store and get some buckets with lids. Cheap, and keeps the vermin out.
Hindsight, I know.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

still_stirrin wrote:And nobody can "teach" you what you're about to "learn"....
Now you've got me wonderin' what you know. Teaser.
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

I'm starting realize that the lessen here is to use those buckets to keep the bugs out. Even though it is in my home, some how those guys seem to find their way in.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

They just be extra nutrients. I say no impact on flavour.

And be willing to bet buckets n lids wont help unless heat or co2 is added to kill bugs on grain
Last edited by jedneck on Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

PipeWelder316 wrote:I'm starting realize that the lessen here is to use those buckets to keep the bugs out. Even though it is in my home, some how those guys seem to find their way in...I discovered it had been infected with moths and ants and was kinda nasty for about 2 or 3 inch's in layer...
Whatja' expect???
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

This was my first time having anything get into my corn, it had always been fresh in the past. I didn't want to waste the sugar so I went ahead with the sugar head mash. Has anyone else done this? Anyone think I should just dump it and start over with fresh ingredients? I'm starting to wounder...
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

jedneck wrote:They just be extra nutrients. I say no impact on flavour.

And be willing to bet buckets n lids wont help unless heat or co2 is added to kill bugs on grain
PipeWelder316 wrote:This was my first time having anything get into my corn, it had always been fresh in the past. I didn't want to waste the sugar so I went ahead with the sugar head mash. Has anyone else done this? Anyone think I should just dump it and start over with fresh ingredients? I'm starting to wounder...
big help
Dunder
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

jedneck wrote:They just be extra nutrients. I say no impact on flavour.

That's what I am hoping for. I have made beer and wine for years and I know how easy it is for something to go south with them, especially beer. I believe this mash might be a little more forgiving.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Only one way to learn. I have and do run stuff that would turn alot of stomachs. Is it all drinkable, yes. Is it all good, fuk no. There is only one way to find out though. Whole differant ballgame than beer and wine.
big help
Dunder
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I have heard of traditional cider makers hanging some raw meat in the vat.

Geoff
The Baker
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

When in doubt , RUN IT !
Few bugs ain't gonna hurt unless they are flies .
Check USDA Standards for how many bugs , bats , rats , and feces are allowed in the food you consume every day .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

Truckinbutch wrote:When in doubt , RUN IT !
Check USDA Standards for how many bugs , bats , rats , and feces are allowed in the food you consume every day .
That's a good point Truckinbutch, If its good enough for the USDA then its good enough for my own personal consumption. :mrgreen:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

PipeWelder316 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:When in doubt , RUN IT !
That's a good point Truckinbutch, If its good enough for the USDA then its good enough for my own personal consumption. :mrgreen:
:P You can hold yourself to a higher standard than the USDA and still eat good food and make good likker .
You got the critters off the top and should be good .
In the future ; put your grains in lidded containers and place a chunk of dry ice in each one . You can get them bugs already in the bag of grain you bought . Dry ice lays a blanket of CO2 that suffocates anything in the container and keeps new critters from invading .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

CO2 from a fermenter works, too. Just be careful about introducing moisture to your grain.
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

I've never had moths or ants but I get these tiny little beetles, about 10,000 of 'em. Where I got the corn, the guy said they come with the corn as eggs, said the only thing to do if you dont "feed the chickens" right-away is keep it in the refrigerator.
Thoose lil suckers were everywhere!

-h-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

heynonny wrote:I've never had moths or ants but I get these tiny little beetles, about 10,000 of 'em...
Weevils. And they'll thrive in your barley malts as well. Not as interested in raw wheat, but if it's the only grain in town...they'll go there too. Get them too comfortable in your house and they'll find their way to your flour bin as well.

The best way to control them is to keep cereal grains (and breakfast cereal too) in the freezer. They are a nuisance if not controlled.
ss
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

If you know anyone who's into long term food storage they can back me up on this... The eggs for the Moths, weevils etc are already in with the grain when you got it. They are very destructive little bastards and can destroy a sack of grain in less than a season and can lead to a mold infection.
Freeze the bastards ! Make room in your freezer and stick the sack of grain in it for 24 hours, 12 hours to chill the whole sack of grain to freezing and another 12 to kill these baddies. I've tried dry ice and CO2 from my draft beer set-up with only limited success. Beware if your in the USA because the Indian Meal Moth will reinfect your grain if it's not protected. As for flavor....you'll have to tell us...and please do !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

PipeWelder316 wrote:At this point I discovered it had been infected with moths and ants and was kinda nasty for about 2 or 3 inch's in layer. It will be next week before I can get a new bag of cracked corn So I just scooped it out and made my ujsm anyways. What do ya'll think about this?
Bugs are good for nutrients :lol:
When you say it was " kinda nasty for about 2 or 3 inch's in layer"
Was any of it molded ?
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

shadylane wrote:
PipeWelder316 wrote:At this point I discovered it had been infected with moths and ants and was kinda nasty for about 2 or 3 inch's in layer. It will be next week before I can get a new bag of cracked corn So I just scooped it out and made my ujsm anyways. What do ya'll think about this?
Bugs are good for nutrients :lol:
When you say it was " kinda nasty for about 2 or 3 inch's in layer"
Was any of it molded ?
I don't think it was molded, although it looked funny like the insects had been eating it, I'm sure it has moth feces and urine in it. That cracked corn had been sitting in the other room for about 8 months. In hind sight I should have just made a neutral or bran flake, hell anything... I'm really thinking about dumping it and just starting another fresh one in a few days.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Now I know how a bag of corn sealed in an air tight container became buggy (which I didn't discover till I opened it up mos later.)
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

kiwi Bruce wrote:If you know anyone who's into long term food storage they can back me up on this... The eggs for the Moths, weevils etc are already in with the grain when you got it. They are very destructive little bastards and can destroy a sack of grain in less than a season and can lead to a mold infection.
Freeze the bastards ! Make room in your freezer and stick the sack of grain in it for 24 hours, 12 hours to chill the whole sack of grain to freezing and another 12 to kill these baddies. I've tried dry ice and CO2 from my draft beer set-up with only limited success. Beware if your in the USA because the Indian Meal Moth will reinfect your grain if it's not protected. As for flavor....you'll have to tell us...and please do !
I just now seen your post. Ok well I'll wait it out and see how the finished product turns out and report back.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using Tapatalk
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I bet you'll be fine. Some ants contain interesting tasting acids that could make some interesting esters. Hell, I PLAN on intentionally making rum with as many carpenter ants as I can catch!

I've also run plenty of gnats that drank themselves to death in the low wines, at least 1 bumble bee, and a few other critters. I bet far more people have had things crawl in loosely covered washes and never even knew it. Depending on how you work UJ, you may never even see them until they dissolved into nothing.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Try " Southern Feeds" cracked Corn. I see no vermin.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

Well ya'll I ran that mash this weekend. It was my first run since I went electric.
I do want to encourage anyone that might be on the fence about it, to go electric! I used to collect 1 liter at about 86% and stop That's after I separated the fores and about 150 ml of heads. Didn't think there was much left to worry about. This time I collected 2 liters of high proof after the fores and first heads. I ended up getting 5 fifths, or a gallon. @ 90 proof. I had so much more control of my vapor speed it was unreal. I should have let this air but I didn't, As far as the taste its not bad. I think it has a little off flavor but nothing disgusting or gross. I did take that bag of corn outside and spread it out, and bought a new one. I saved 2 gallons of backset and started a second generation, 8 gallon ujsm for next time. As some here will tell you "when in doubt run it!"
Happy Distilling ya'll
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Good Job Pipe ! pleased for Ya !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

I always soak my corn in a bucket full of water, the vermin, if any, get out of dodge or drown. Now If I'm grinding dry corn I watch for vernin, but the brand I've been using I don't really see much vermin. I heard a Hoot owl say a drop of bleach runs the vermin out of a five gallon bucket full of water and corn but who listens to owls. Fill it 3/4 full as " it swells" to the top of the bucket which is good, as the little bastards can crawl to the edge and jump.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."