Tried mashing a different way

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Clutchuser
Novice

Tried mashing a different way

Post by Clutchuser »

Today I decided to mash a different way than I normally do. I started with two gallons of water , heated to 170° turned the heat off. Added 16lbs of ground white corn and mixed with a drill and paddle. Thickened immediately. Added 1 gallon of water and temperature dropped to 155. Added amylase. Thinned out to a soup. Turn heat back on and raised temp to 190. Added 2 more gallons of water. Temp dropped to 158. Added more enzymes. Thinned out again. Now I have 16lbs of corn and 5 gallons of water. Repeated this again until I have 7gallons. Now bring it to a boil and hold for 20 min. Consistency at boil was like chowder. Never did the corn become to thick to manage or scorching. Cooled to 152 added rye and barley malt. Let that rest for an hour at 148. Coolef to 80° and checked gravity at 1.085. Pitched yeast and was steady bubbling 1 hour later at 80°
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Tried mashing a different way

Post by bilgriss »

Did you find this easier than your normal protocol, and, what is your normal protocol? How much malt was added?

It sounds like you had some success, congratulations.
Clutchuser
Novice

Re: Tried mashing a different way

Post by Clutchuser »

I found that it was easier doing it this way simply because the mash was not as thick. It may use a little bit more time and gas trying to bring the temperature back up, but it's worth it to me My normal procedure would be to put all needed water in the pot, add 16lbs corn while the water is still cold, raise the temperature to boiling, and cook for 45 minutes. Then I would lower the temperature, and add 2.4 lbs of barley malt and 1.6lb rye. If you add the corn to hot water make sure to stir constantly to avoid clumping of corn (dough balls). Very satisfied with the new method so far.